supercharged Impala

mjrsplat

Ok.. I picked up a 2003 Impala dirt cheap that needed a motor, I initially had the intention of tossing a new motor in and reselling or potentially keeping it and selling my current daily. A great deal on a full 01 gtp dropout fell into my lap, so I'll be mating the two together. Not sure how it will go as far as ecu or tuning, differences between the transmissions, etc but I guess I'll be figuring that out as I go since I can't seem to find much information on the matter. I'll post progress pics as I go and I'll outline any problems I encounter along the way. Stay tuned..

You're not looking in the right places.

http://forums.motorswap.org/

or grandprixforums.net.

I would use the trans/motor from the GTP and just drop it in the Impala. If you use the GTP trans you'll need to make your own axles (inners from the Impala and the outers from the GTP (different splines).

You could use the trans from the Impala but you'll need a different flywheel and/or torque converter.

Everything else will drop in. I believe the only other thing you would need is a MAP extension harness that will go from the front of the motor to the back (or make your own).

Probably not much info because it hasn't been done much. You'll probably be figuring it out as you go. Sounds fun though

Its been done a bunch of times.

Pretty much all w-bodies are the same all the engine/trans parts interchange and bolt up to each other.

Its been done a bunch of times.

Pretty much all w-bodies are the same all the engine/trans parts interchange and bolt up to each other.

I had never heard of it being done before but I shouldnt be surprised. If you can LSx swap an FD why not swap the impala. Haha. I bet it will be pretty fun. I would own one.

I had never heard of it being done before but I shouldnt be surprised. If you can LSx swap an FD why not swap the impala. Haha. I bet it will be pretty fun. I would own one.

I just put a s/c on a 99 Regal LS with an NA bottom end. It's a pretty popular swap.

He got the whole dropout (engine, trans, ecm, wiring harness that is half cut lol) so the gtp trans I believe is going in since they are stronger units. Good info on the axles though, we weren't sure if they were the same or not.

Do yourselves a huge favor and put a trans cooler in to. The trans might stronger, but it still wont live very long lol

or grandprixforums.net.

I would use the trans/motor from the GTP and just drop it in the Impala. If you use the GTP trans you'll need to make your own axles (inners from the Impala and the outers from the GTP (different splines).

You could use the trans from the Impala but you'll need a different flywheel and/or torque converter.

Everything else will drop in. I believe the only other thing you would need is a MAP extension harness that will go from the front of the motor to the back (or make your own).

I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread. Good info.

Looks like I'll be using the Impala harness, the GTP harness is all cut up. I plan to use the ecu from the GTP if it'll work, if not I'd heard the Regal GS tune will work on an Impala ecu. I plan to use the GTP trans since it has lower mileage and is a bit stronger than the N/A trans from what I hear. As for the axles I have the inners from the GTP so I'll make a set no big deal.

Not sure if you can just use the PCm from the GTP because the Impala/Monte Carlo has some retarded pass-key/theft thing going on (from what I've heard people tuning Imps or Monte's).

I "think" the trans cooling lines are different from an 01 to 03 but I'm not sure. I know they're different from a 98/99 to a 01-02.

or grandprixforums.net.

Hahaha, brings back old memories. I actually started that site with 2 other guys back in the clubgp days. We were selling premade wiring harnesses for swapping the l67 into other gens. I had a 91 GTP with a 2001 GTP drivetrain.

Site used to be called l67swap.com .

Good luck man, I suggest getting a good schematic for each car and start wiring.

Blah.. depends on how much you beat on it. ;).

Eh i have to disagree lol. Ive put 3 transmissions in my na 3.8 car lol

Do yourselves a huge favor and put a trans cooler in to. The trans might stronger, but it still wont live very long lol

I beat the living shit out of my GTP for six years and blew the motor finally at 220k miles. The original transmission was still in it and working perfectly fine.

I ended up swapping the motor/trans/supercharger out with stuff from an '04 supercharged Regal after that. Still don't have my wiring harness quite right