Navigator/expedition vs. GM big SUV's

OGRE

We are looking at buying a kid hauler, but with the ford & lincoln i feel limited to 2003/04 because the engines are more reliable than the 3v modular engine. Don't try to talk me into a 3v i don't want one. We want to stay under $15,000 I know where the rust issues with the fords are and most of thier common issues.

But I am looking more than i expected at a GM offering being that the LS engines seem as stone cold reliable a 2v or 4v 5.4L. I need some information, what are thier common issues, what kind of options do they have? For instance i really like the navigators 2nd row center console. does a Cadillac or suburban have something like that?

I am only looking at extra large SUV's with 4wd.

Would you consider an Infiniti QX56 / Nissan Pathfinder? I have a Q and other than a freak issue with the power steering, it's been great... :nod:

looking at all of them, i think they are all smaller than an expedition. I can fold the 2nd row down and lay 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the 2000 expy we had.

c'mon guys school me on the GM big haulers i need to know things to watch out for. i think i would rather go suburban than tahoe.

looking at all of them, i think they are all smaller than an expedition. I can fold the 2nd row down and lay 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the 2000 expy we had.

My Q is not smaller than an Expedition, but it might be smaller than the "L" Expedition. However, I can't fold all of the seats down like that.

I looked at a newer Expedition, but after I saw the rust on the rear hatch area, I walked away. It didn't have that many miles on it and shouldn't have been rusting like that, so I'm assuming either a Ford defect or it had been hit.

I'd look at a Sequoia as well, like someone said. Toyota's reliability is great, of course. I'd never owned an import (other than my first car, a hand me down Toyota Celica when I was 17), and really enjoy driving my Q. Some don't like the looks of it, but at nearly 10 years old, I think it still looks good. I'd say just get out there and drive a few things and see what you like... :)

On the navigators, build a coil suspension conversion into your budget, or look for ones that already have it. The air suspensions are a guaranteed fail point.

I agree with this. I had a 2000 Navigator years ago and it crapped out on a drive back from vacation. Fortunately, it was within the last 2 hours of an 8 hour drive. Was expensive to fix... :(