Staff and business etiquette

Lauren

Question for you guys regarding employment. What is the proper etiquette for trying to steal an employee from one company and coming to work for my company. Is there any rules to this sort of thing?

I really want to steal a dance teacher from a local studio and have them come work for me. Should I just message him directly and offer to chat about making a switch? Am I breaking some unwritten code?

I haven't been in this position before so thought I'd pick you'll brains.

If your the one who is stealing there really is not I would say. If I was the employee I would only have the concern of the new job not being what I wanted it to be and in the process of leaving for a competitive company likely would not be able to return to my old job if needed

Non competes don't hold in my industry.

If they don't have a non compete then go ahead reach out to the instructor. Worse they can say is "no", but there isn't really protocol so to speak.

I've seen tech's go to other company's that sought them out. Our company wished them the best if they couldn't make a decent counter. Pretty cut and dry.

A little off topic but the issue with non competes in most cases is that you can't prevent someone from baking a living so in situations where that's their job you can't prevent them from doing that job even if it's for a competitor.

When we take customers it's lots of steak, fish, and sushi, you could try that haha

Last I checked, non-competes don't hold at all in the state of Ohio.

They actually do hold up in Ohio compared to other states. Ohio is more pro-employer than other states in regards to NC's. But, if the person in question isn't a high level asset then the company won't go after them for the NC in most cases.

Go for it. If you can offer them something they want and get them more power to you!.

I have been, and am currently in the position of people trying to steal me from my current job. I gladly met with the owner of another firm and simply kept my boss in the loop. I am out for what is best for me and my family. I certainly dont want to burn any bridges either. In the end my current employer made it worth my while to stay... I am happier and have a new friend in the industry (the owner who was talking to me about moving to their firm). I kept him in the loop as well and I think he understood the situation fully.

I hope the person you are 'after' would give you the same courtesy of letting you know if they are sharing it with their current employer, what they think, ect. It can take a few meetings depending on the industry. It NEVER hurts to contact someone. If they have done good work and are making a good reputation it would be silly for you not to get a meeting. It could easily better the both of you.

They actually do hold up in Ohio compared to other states. Ohio is more pro-employer than other states in regards to NC's. But, if the person in question isn't a high level asset then the company won't go after them for the NC in most cases.

bingo

I wasn't even a high salaried employee but because I had access to what they described as "trade-secrets" I was given a good deal of BS upon leaving that company.

Edited by Miller

Last I checked, non-competes don't hold at all in the state of Ohio.

False.

You're right about the no compete being worthless, I'd also doubt they have one.

False.

Bingo- Non competes that are worth a shit DO hold in the state of Ohio. I work for a major company in HR in a highly technical division- ask me how I know. Hell, I'm under one now and have a chance to leave for something that would violate it- I know I'll be in a battle.

Jive- if there's no non-compete, and I doubt there is, there's nothing holding you back. Just don't expect to have a new best buddy in who you're taking them from. :dumb:

This local studio already hates me as I have taken their main clientele over the last year. Infact this teacher I am trying to recruit would be able to teach his old students under My roof. With him coming over to me it would put the nail in the coffin for this studio locally. My sales numbers would increase 100% or more with him teaching for me. It's the next step our business has to take to stay on track to what our business plan projects.

This local studio already hates me as I have taken their main clientele over the last year. Infact this teacher I am trying to recruit would be able to teach his old students under My roof. With him coming over to me it would put the nail in the coffin for this studio locally. My sales numbers would increase 100% or more with him teaching for me. It's the next step our business has to take to stay on track to what our business plan projects.

Sounds like the love lost will go unnoticed. Just make the offer enticing enough for the person that would kill a business- I'm sure they're aware this move will do that too.

Nonetheless, business is business. Good luck.

#RollTights

Bingo- Non competes that are worth a shit DO hold in the state of Ohio. I work for a major company in HR in a highly technical division- ask me how I know. Hell, I'm under one now and have a chance to leave for something that would violate it- I know I'll be in a battle.

Depends on the profession. If you are a developer for a national company it can be more broad. On the other hand, my wife is a Veterinarian and her Non-Compete will only hold for small geographic areas unless she was specialized. I would assume a dance teacher would be the same.

Depends on the profession. If you are a developer for a national company it can be more broad. On the other hand, my wife is a Veterinarian and her Non-Compete will only hold for small geographic areas unless she was specialized. I would assume a dance teacher would be the same.

I totally agree- it's all on how it's written. But a blanket statement to say they don't hold in Ohio is incorrect. Companies wouldn't do them if they were useless.

I contracted for a studio here back in 2011 when I lived here part time. They actually had a good non compete, although it wasn't exactly a non compete. They had it as if you leave here and take any clients we will sue you for say $2000 per client you take from us. They knew you couldn't stop someone from teaching but they could sue you for loss of revenue.

I contracted for a studio here back in 2011 when I lived here part time. They actually had a good non compete' date=' although it wasn't exactly a non compete. They had it as if you leave here and take any clients we will sue you for say $2000 per client you take from us. They knew you couldn't stop someone from teaching but they could sue you for loss of revenue.[/quote']

That's a non-solicitation. Those are even more fun to enforce.

x2. I have seen the double cross move before too

If someone is willing to leave their current position, for a better opportunity, what's wrong with that? The OP is obviously seeking the person out due to a skill set, and is mostly likely going to compensate above their current rate.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to move up in the world.

If someone is willing to leave their current position, for a better opportunity, what's wrong with that? The OP is obviously seeking the person out due to a skill set, and is mostly likely going to compensate above their current rate.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to move up in the world.

agreed but what I am saying is this guy gets approached he tells his boss about it. I have seen cases where they will conspire together, he will accept the job take the money, ideas, clients what have you then quit turn around and go right back.