KODI/ XMBC and plex/raspberry pi for dummies?

hpfiend

Hey all-

I am out of my league when discussing this- does anyone currently use KODI or XMBC to watch streaming tv? Apparently there is some android m8s box that will work with it, a raspberry pi, a PC, and a roku but I can not figure out in what combination. I don't know if these are illegal torrents or how it works at all but apparently you can watch lots of cool stuff on your tv with these programs.

Thanks in advance!

I have heard good things about the Kodi Firesticks. They are affordable and easy to use if setup right.

I think this is what I'm going to do if our atv2 dies. I don't think there is future kodi updates for atv2, so if it stops working I will upgrade then.

Tom

i have 3 Fire TV Sticks that get used at all the time in our house.

i bought them from Amazon and installed Kodi on them myself.

they're fucking GREAT.

not to mention i use them for Netflix and our Prime subscription. has everything you could want for a TV

let me know if anyone needs me to do one for them.

Im interested to hear more setups/tips on using Kodi on firesticks. Ive tried several times to watch anything and it either never plays, buffers, or looks like garbage. I find myself just dl'ing the show/movie and putting in on plex.

I currently use AFTV for my kodi setup. Super easy to install with ES file explorer. Just using the configuration wizard standard add ons. Genesis for movies, phoenix for streaming tv, and sports devil for live games. No problems with quality or buffering unless the internet is slow (rural centurylink dsl sucks!)

I would get a fire stick or raspberry pi 2 but I already have a roku 3 and a PC with hdmi graphics card hooked to my tv.

I also don't even know what kodi is. Is it like software torrents? Movies and premium subscription cable channels uploaded? I thought I saw somewhere there were live channels as well?

I have a plex channel on my roku- do I just put that on my PC?

I would get a fire stick or raspberry pi 2 but I already have a roku 3 and a PC with hdmi graphics card hooked to my tv.

I also don't even know what kodi is. Is it like software torrents? Movies and premium subscription cable channels uploaded? I thought I saw somewhere there were live channels as well?

I have a plex channel on my roku- do I just put that on my PC?

KODI is the former XBMC, just a software suite with a nice interface, etc. Doesn't get you any shows on its own, but relies on third party apps or shared content on your network.

I have a Raspberry pi connected in my living room and a couple FireTV sticks with kodi in other rooms. I set them up myself. Takes about 3 minutes for the FireTV stick to do. The Raspberry pi runs Openelec. I also have it wired to my router to prevent buffer issues. It has 4 USB ports. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse in two.

What does openelec do for you?

Openelec is a Linux OS that runs on the Raspberry pi that has TVMC/Kodi built into it. Upon install it has none of the repositories you need to watch movies. You have to manually enter those. There's a zip file I have with the top repositories(at that time) and I use that. To be honest..Genesis, Phoenix, Icefilms, Sportsdevil are all you really need. Unless you're into International, Anime or things like that. On Sunday's, I have access to ALL the football games. Even all the PPV events.

You used an Ethernet cable directly to your router?

Yes. I did have it using wireless with a USB stick I put in the 3rd USB spot, but it would be choppy at times. Needed to buffer. It was annoying, so I ran a cable directly from the Raspberry pi to my router. Works great now.

Since I started this, I shutdown my 2TB Plex server. No need to deal with torrents and store locally when any and everything I want to watch is in Kodi.

I even have it running on my Mac. I use this when out or in my bedroom at times instead of the firestick. They tend to be choppy as well. I run ethernet to Mac and HDMI to TV. Works great.

What it looks like

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/IMG_20160113_103639_zpsdgztacir.jpg

I tried my amazon firestick and XBCM. It ran okay. Most of the TV or Movies I wanted to watch would stream but would buffer often. So in my experience it worked but not well. I just run a plex server and "acquire" what I want and stream to my stick. That seems to work as long as I don't pause the stream. In my living room I just use $200 Microcenter PC and windows folder sharing with zero problems. VLC.exe is all I use on it.

I hesitate to ask as I am just getting my head around this but my sister is curious- are any of you using an external hard drive with your raspberry pi or fire stick or atv or whatever to make a DVR? What software are you using if so or how are you making it record?

Obviously referring to live broadcast