850 HP Factory 5 GTM

wagner

Has anybody on here ever built one? Wondering what the total cost to build a GTM is. I know the kit is like $25k, then you have to procure a bunch of stuff from a vette and porsche 911, including but not limited to engine, trans, steering, etc...

Has anybody on here ever built one? Wondering what the total cost to build a GTM is. I know the kit is like $25k, then you have to procure a bunch of stuff from a vette and porsche 911, including but not limited to engine, trans, steering, etc...

depends on how wild you want to go. factory five says this on their website:

How much does it cost to build a GTM?

The price of the kit is not as important as the price of the completed vehicle. Our original target was that a guy should be able to build the GTM for less than $50,000. Most customers spend between $35,000 and $50,000 to complete the car including Chevrolet parts, wheels/tires, paint and transaxle.

The factory five forums have a lot of discussions about this and there has been a lot of discussion about it in light of increase in the price of parts, etc...someone said not too long ago on there that it costs $85K to do one "right" to a high level of finish and that alone was discussed into the ground.

I haven't built one, but I had a friend who was working on one. Don't know if he finished before we lost touch.

The most expensive single part not included in the kit is going to be the transaxle. If you are going for a mild engine like a stock ls1 5.7L from a 4th gen camaro or C5 vette then maybe you can get away a used condition Porsche 911 G50 (keep in mind that the G50 is the most desirable gearbox for air-cooled 911s and the price of them has gone up recently). However if you are going to go big, you need something like a Ricardo Ford GT transaxle, or a mendeola unit which is going to be between $8K and 10K by itself. Considering a crate E-rod 6.2 LS3 is somewhere near $8K its not hard to see someone spending $25K on drivetrain alone if they were committed to high HP and all new parts. buying used and not caring about iron vs aluminum blocks probably brings the cost down significantly but that carries it's own external costs.

The good news is that resale seems to be pretty strong on them. the last two I saw for sale were listed at $84K and $93K respectively (in hemmings) and were both high HP cars with a high level of finish (one was LS7 powered).

Can we just B18c or K20 out of this thing?

I suppose you could if you were halfway decent at fabrication and could build a subframe to take the honda FWD platform.

Or you could just buy a nice Fiero for $2K and do a Quad4 swap and save yourself $50K.

• 3 weeks later...