2005 STI: SCCA RallyX build (Second Stage complete.)

Draco-REX

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the highlight differences between that and the 441?

The big differences are dual pistons, external reservoir, more travel and ride height adjustment, and additional strengthening where it mounts to the knuckle. Plus, of course, gravel valving.

• 1 month later...

First Event!

This was a tighter course without any real straights. I was also still on the original suspension and snow tires.

Result: 1st! Also had FTD.

Having been almost a year since I last raced RallyX, I was definitely rusty. The morning heat I was over driving the car and certainly could have done better. The afternoon course was faster, but I was able to reign myself in and keep the car under better control. Ultimately, ZB out-drive me today, but I'm working the kinks out. :) Too bad next event our cars won't be as comparable, since I want to get the suspension done.

The car was very good. Grip was good, power was exceptional. It's already faster than my old Modified class car. The rear was a bit loose for my taste, however. The stock sway bars are still on the car and connected. Usually I remove them for RallyX for maximum traction. But I was thinking about learning to drive the car with them on because videos I watched of past National events showed a lot of slalom-like sections. Sways would let me transfer weight left/right faster, making it easier to get through a slalom. But I've always really liked the feel of this chassis without sways. Maybe I'll just disconnect the rear sway..

So far, this car has been a complete success. I can't wait to drive it with the new suspension mods and tires.