Moving companies?

ImUrOBGYN

Has anyone had any experience, (or know someone who has), with a good moving company? One that moves out of state?

We would pack up our own stuff and they would load, drive and unload their truck at our new place. Would have to have the Supra towed, as well. Unless it magically sells itselfs or finishes the i/c piping on its own within the next month.

Thanks.

Edited by ImUrOBGYN

Whatever you do, make sure you read the entire moving contract. Unless you specify that you want replacement cost in case something happens (damage, accident, etc) then most moving contracts limit the mover's liability to 60 cents/lb of your damaged items. I handle a lot of household moving claims and they can get messy.

Whatever you do' date=' make sure you read the entire moving contract. Unless you specify that you want replacement cost in case something happens (damage, accident, etc) then most moving contracts limit the mover's liability to 60 cents/lb of your damaged items. I handle a lot of household moving claims and they can get messy.[/quote']

This! My sister used 2 men and a truck I believe and they damaged multiple items. She was screwed on getting them replaced.

Whatever you do' date=' make sure you read the entire moving contract. Unless you specify that you want replacement cost in case something happens (damage, accident, etc) then most moving contracts limit the mover's liability to 60 cents/lb of your damaged items. I handle a lot of household moving claims and they can get messy.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm aware of the coverage thing. You can get pretty screwed on that. I'm sure we'll end up paying for the extra coverage. Personally, I'd love driving the truck, just not packing boxes. Don't even mind moving the furniture and boxes. But, my back ain't what it used to be and I've got 4 vehicles to move, as well.

I was thinking of using PODS. I have to load and unload it, but I get to do it at my own pace, reducing stress and back pain. Thoughts?

Yeah, I'm aware of the coverage thing. You can get pretty screwed on that. I'm sure we'll end up paying for the extra coverage. Personally, I'd love driving the truck, just not packing boxes. Don't even mind moving the furniture and boxes. But, my back ain't what it used to be and I've got 4 vehicles to move, as well.

I was thinking of using PODS. I have to load and unload it, but I get to do it at my own pace, reducing stress and back pain. Thoughts?

I worked for and was an early investor in a local PODs competitor called BINs. http://www.gotbins.com they do not do out of state shipping atm. If you are staying in town give them a try. (I am no longer affiliated/or invested).

Only problem I have with PODs is it's owned by a Saudi holding company.

Here is a fairly quick and easy guide from the FMCSA, I'm sure there is more in depth info out there but this is a good read for anyone planning on hiring a mover: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/protect-your-move/how-to/valuation-insurance .

This! My sister used 2 men and a truck I believe and they damaged multiple items. She was screwed on getting them replaced.

I handle commercial cargo claims for a large insurance company and some of the stuff I've seen would blow your mind. But basically a mover is only required to be liable for 60 cents/lb and anything over that they are allowed to charge for "extra coverage".

I saw a lady pay $17,000 (not a typo) for a company we insure to move everything she owned in one truck from CA to WA. The company used a rental truck and hired another company to do the unloading (both are big no-no's under our policy) and we weren't able to pay anything on the claim. She had thousands of dollars of missing jewelry and other damaged items. One of the few times I truly felt bad after denying a claim since it was no fault of her own.

Guy in my neighborhood just got a POD. Maybe if you do a POD and hire some help to load/unload the big and heavy things?

C'mon, buddy. You know me. I'd drive someone crazy. I like to stack shit like a Tetris game. Besides, the whole allure of PODS is I can move shit in and out as I please with little regard to dates/time. Loading up even a room a day shouldn't be too bad with my back and offers less possibility of "untrustworthies" touching my shit. lol

Still waiting on some things to finalize before deciding for sure on how to move. Also, using PODS still leaves me having to tow the Supra somehow unless it gets lost before I leave. :p Plus, we still have the RAV, Vibe and Escape. :confused:

Wanna fly up and drive all the way the hell back to Texas, Norm? haha

• 4 weeks later...