Insurance Companies & Cost

mrhobbz

So i've been shopping around for insurance quotes as I'm getting ready to add a new bike to my motorcycle policy and the premiums just seem outrageous.

I'm currently with Geico which has been the cheapest I've been quoted at for my auto and motorcycle policies.

I've got a 13' F150 an 06' Mustang GT and a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. My auto policy runs me $125/mo, full coverage and $500 deductibles on both cars and my bike is $604 for the year (low deductibles and full coverage as I have a small loan on the bike)

I'm looking at adding a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500, no loan and it more than doubles my motorcycle policy ($1110/yr) I figured it would have been cheaper than the 900 with it being an older bike and not having a loan against it, or is it just because I'm 27 (no accidents/violations) and single with a bunch of toys?

Anyone have any suggestions on insurance companies?

Had geico before I bought my house. Currently Mapfre was the cheapest for the house and 3 cars with $250 deductibles.

I've got my home insurance through a small company here in SC, ~$680/yr but they want $350/mo to insure my truck and mustang at the same coverage i have with Geico, seems to be the same story with all the other insurance companies I quote with.

You're doing the right thing to shop around. I investigated all the discounts and combinations for what I insure, and as a general rule, bundling with one company helped.

But, that said, I saved loads by splitting off one high-line car, the motorcycles, and the slingshot, each to different companies. My main agent told me the difference between motorcycle insurance through Progressive vs. Geico was that the underwriting at Progressive was weighted more to the performance aspect of the bike (bike value, displacement, sport vs. touring), whereas Geico weighted the factors related to the driver (age, violations). For me, Geico was one eighth the premium that Progressive quoted for the same coverage! With the 999, it was almost a thousand dollar a year difference.

I am currently shopping for rates too as my current insurer is dropping me due to no longer living at home (havnt lived at home in years lol). the $100+ a month ive been quoted just seems redic.

Even bundling my home owners ins with auto was still high. Here is what they are telling me:

When i drove a 16 year old piece of shit: buy a newer car, rates are cheaper.

When i drive a newer safe car: Its newer, that's why rates are high.

I really fucking hate insurance companies.

All insurance companies are different with different rules but the majority rate based on risk. What does that mean? It simply means how much of a risk will you be to the company. Insurance is for profit so if you will have a higher risk of submitting a claim they will charge you more. Simple idea but very detailed in how they figure out your risk class.

Here is an incomplete list of risks everyone looks at

• Previous insurance limits
  • Lapse of coverage if any and for how long
  • The actual limits you are buying (Higher is better, example Full coverage)
  • Your personal credit score
  • Any existing accidents / violations
  • Crime area around your garaging address (where you car is parked when you are sleeping)
  • Home owner VS Renter
  • Other policies with the same agency (Home, Life, Inland Marine, etc)
  • Your vehicles. How much does it cost to repair? How much damage will they do to others or property. Are they high end VS low end vehicles?

You are doing the right thing by shopping around. It costs nothing to get a quote other than a chance of slightly reducing your credit score. Like mentioned earlier your credit history is sometimes ordered when quoting someone. It probably will be ordered when you buy the policy. The more times someone reviews your credit history the more chance you have of your score slightly dropping. But honestly don't worry about that. Find who is the cheapest and go with that. Also get all of your insurance through one agent. You get discounts for bundling policies together.

My personal auto policy is 3 vehicles, 2 drivers, full coverage on everything. I've totaled a car last year and the other driver has a clean record. I live in the ghetto. My credit score is 815 and the other driver has almost no credit history. I've been with the same agent since I was 16. I have a homeowner policy and Inland Marine policy through the same agent. I've had zero lapse in coverage and never paid a late bill. I pay $200 a month for auto insurance. Your results may vary.

Good luck ;)

Also remember most companies rate on risk history they get from claims throughout the years. IE if Progressive has had a lot of claims for 27 year old males living in Sacramento driving 02 Ford Explorers then they'll charge a lot but other companies may not. Best bet is to just compare rates every year or two.

We had enough with state farm. They are losing a 15 year customer. Monthly rates go up all the time of course go down when you call. New home insurance they wanted to rape us.

We are switching to travelers insurance from a keystone agent.

Contact Michelle Schooley at Keystone insurance in Groveport for a quote 614-295-8816 she has been great to work with. Mention my name for possibly any referrals for each other.

I pay $31/month for full coverage $1000 deductibles for my 2008 GSXR 600 through Rider Insurance. Dairyland Insurance is pretty cheap for me as well. Both of these are strictly online companies.

Like others said, shop around, bike insurance is weird and no two people will have the same answer for what's cheapest. Progressive is notoriously expensive for bikes, yet I know some people who have gotten killer deals from them.

I pay $31/month for full coverage $1000 deductibles for my 2008 GSXR 600 through Rider Insurance. Dairyland Insurance is pretty cheap for me as well. Both of these are strictly online companies.

Like others said, shop around, bike insurance is weird and no two people will have the same answer for what's cheapest. Progressive is notoriously expensive for bikes, yet I know some people who have gotten killer deals from them.

Thanks for the feedback all. I've been shopping around and it seems like the cheapest on both the cars and bike is still with Geico. Progressive wants nearly 3x the amount for the bike.

My father is with progressive and pays something like $100/yr (then again he is in his 60's)

My credit history and scores are excellent (high 700's with all 3), I think it is likely just my age and the area I'm in. My insurance jumped quite a bit moving from Columbus to Myrtle Beach (the accident rate is way higher here)

Ive been with State Farm for 15 years. I shop around every 2 years or so and haven't found anyone that can get me the coverage limits I have at a lower price. When shopping around make sure you know ALL of your coverage limits.

I used the progressive rate comparison tool. Progressive and a few others were all in the same ballpark, but Erie was dirt cheap. Called them independently, they were able to get lower than what progressive was showing (because progressive takes a cut when you use their site) and saved about $1000/year.

Service will depend on your local agent, but for $1000/year savings I can't complain.

Edit - My E30 M3 is through Grundy insurance. The PO of the car told me about them and they are WAYYY cheaper than anyone else and they do agreed value so if something happens it isn't a big headache.