Interesting turbo

buelliganx1

So I'm poking around on craigslist looking at different cars and I come across this 1950 Dodge Coronet with a flat head straight 6 and a turbo. Thing is I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on turbos but I cant figure out what the hell is going on with this thing. It's almost as if the turbo is sucking air through the carb and then around and into the head instead of the more typical blow through design. I want to buy this thing just so I can see how the damn thing works, if it works at all. Unfortunately this is the best pic of the engine that they posted. I can't imagine that putting the fuel air mixture through the turbo can work well at all.

00c0c_dLxgZAjjacZ_600x450.jpg

Draw through designs were more popular in the 80s. Allows you run a carb without putting the whole carb in a box to pressurize everything. You can find them here and there, AZN on street outlaws was running a draw through setup on the bug for a couple seasons.

I would say pulling the air/fuel mixture through it could be no worse than what's being done on a traditional blower setup.

I would say pulling the air/fuel mixture through it could be no worse than what's being done on a traditional blower setup.

True, I can see what your saying. Just caught me off guard, not used to seeing this type of setup and definitely not in a 1950 4 door Coronet. lol Might actually make a fun little ride.

it's a draw through, like you said and a stupid design. If he doesn't have a separator in the intake then he isn't actually pressurizing anything but the air above the carb throat.

sidevalve or flatheads really respond to turbo or supercharging, and a lot of those old dodges run low compression (5:1 or 6.5:1) , but I can't imagine he's putting much through that setup than 6-8 psi.

Believe it or not, the old air-cooled vw folks had alot of good luck with draw through holley setups. Too add to the fun of them, a few of them would run air-water intercoolers between the turbo and engine. You basically had a big box of fuel back there and this was without all the fancy electronics of today.

the oil drain back into the head is what is visible and copper. I think. I mean I don't really know that you can tap the head of a flathead dodge in that spot and get 40psi oil.

all the piping is so short I really can't imagine it having much lag. those dodges stock put out 70-100 hp so even at 8 psi and about 150hp I betcha that thing moves along pretty good, esp when you consider a 50 dodge fully loaded weighs roughly 3000 lbs.