EPA Seeks to Prohibit Conversion of Vehicles into Racecars

wagner

can you post a link or a citation so I can read this? I'm really curious as to what the whole of the proposed act says and if there are any legislation notes.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call SEMA a bunch of weasels, but it does feel like they are overselling it a bit.

I did find a full except of the relevent part that SEMA is frightened of and emphasized some of the parts I thought relevent:

so there are a couple of things here. 1) there is all this talk about Heavy duty vehicles - what does that really mean so I did a little more digging and...

So the proposed regulation does not apply to passenger cars but rather big fuck off pickups and larger. SEMA does represent racing organizations that do race things like semi rigs, tractors, and pickup trucks so there is still an interested group there, but it is not as big as they are making it out to be. Greg's example of your 240sx drift car isn't covered by this.

I want to read the rest of the whole thing before I pass judgement but it sounds like if you race a truck you will have to start with a new engine and you cannot modify an existing engine for racing without retaining the emissions equipment (I saw something in the definition about the engine being new or used is dependent on when the crank was installed so I want to read further). The Government's history has been to interpret emissions equipment very broadly so that can include the ECM and it's data, ie you can't reflash it for a new tune - possibly. I think I also saw in my skimming that this applies to vehicles 2004 and newer so if you are racing daddy's old tractor built in 1994 in the tractor pulls you don't have to go back to whatever emissions equipment was on the thing in 1994.

errr

"Myth: The EPA’s proposal only affects medium- and heavy-duty vehicles.

The EPA inserted the problematic language into a rulemaking that focuses on medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, however, the rulemaking also includes a section entitled “Miscellaneous EPA Amendments.” The language affecting “vehicles used solely for competition” (i.e., racecars) was a “miscellaneous EPA amendment” and would, in fact, affect all light-duty vehicles, not just trucks. "

Keep reading I guess. The debunks from Sema have and agenda, but it is cited the language pretty clearly, and there is and should be real concern...

Kinda like a friend said "Such a rule is akin to entering a room full of smokers, and admonishing a singular smoldering matchstick in an ashtray. There are entire oceans of bigger fish to fry."

The EPA is going after the lowest hanging fruit as to not really change anything.

Edited by Brandon

• 3 weeks later...
take an inch and then a mile. If something cannot be controlled or monitored, then it's the boogy man in the closet and not safe for everyone according to the government.

This was the talk of the town at the race in GA. Anybody who thinks this won't be a problem is a fool.

This was the talk of the town at the race in GA. Anybody who thinks this won't be a problem is a fool.

I agree with you only in that I think SEMA is setting themselves up to make it a bigger problem, whether it actually is or not.

take an inch and then a mile. If something cannot be controlled or monitored, then it's the boogy man in the closet and not safe for everyone according to the government.

Typically this is how it always starts though. Everything is vague enough so they they can tailor it to restrict as much as they see fit, until the backlash starts. Then they seem to back off and claim that wasn't what they meant.

Hmm, everyone in the beginning of the thread was saying calm down, don't worry. Now......?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...