Inside the NSX factory

street pilot

An impressive local operation.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acuras-church-of-the-nsx/

"The assembly stations all work with wireless torque wrenches to get the perfect turn of the screw every time. When a technician bolts something into place, the wrench will vibrate when the correct torque spec is reached. Builders can then double-check that on their computers. If the torque value is wrong, the computer will not allow the next piece to be assembled." :eek::cool:

An impressive local operation.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acuras-church-of-the-nsx/

"The assembly stations all work with wireless torque wrenches to get the perfect turn of the screw every time. When a technician bolts something into place, the wrench will vibrate when the correct torque spec is reached. Builders can then double-check that on their computers. If the torque value is wrong, the computer will not allow the next piece to be assembled." :eek::cool:

Too bad they didn't have something that advanced on the new Civic motors, might not have had to recall whatever motor option that was.

It's probably Chan's fault.

Here's hoping for a manual NSX option soon

Too bad they didn't have something that advanced on the new Civic motors, might not have had to recall whatever motor option that was.

It's probably Chan's fault.

Here's hoping for a manual NSX option soon

:lolguy:

um im not sure what is so amazing about this, but FYI every bolt has been torqued in GM power train for years. I guess its not wireless, but every station has torques that have polkayokes in this way.

It's impressive that every bolt's torque value is wirelessly recorded in a computer, that precludes assembly (allegedly) of the next part unless the value is within spec.

Anyone who has worked in auto assembly should appreciate the value.

I just shared the article with the community because I figured people might be curious what the production floor for the NSX looked like, not because of this wireless torque wrench technology.

Saw a test mule out driving around on my way to hockey in Dublin a few weeks ago. As exotic a car as it is, I saw it at night and driving around with just the headlights and taillights you'd think it was a flattened Civic or ILX.

Was it red? The red one has been racking up miles in the snow, sleet, rain,....I see it almost daily in UA and 270

Saw a test mule out driving around on my way to hockey in Dublin a few weeks ago. As exotic a car as it is, I saw it at night and driving around with just the headlights and taillights you'd think it was a flattened Civic or ILX.

I honestly don't see the attraction, either. Styling cues are 2008'ish and all the reviews say it's basically a glorified Honda Accord.