Lawn treatment referral?

Diamonds

TruGreen owns many companies now so do your research. Also avoid Cardinal Lawns. I was their branch manager for a short time and they have some shady business practices.

NexGreen isn't bad from what I hear. They use this new stuff called Holganix which has some mixed reviews. But all in all the stuff seems to work good in most cases.

For being all Organic...I have heard some solid reviews from Good Nature too.

Regardless of who you choose you need to take advantage of service calls. As well as slice seeding/over seeding to push out the bad stuff. People forget that and think one or two treatments cures all. It's a long process to get a thick and lush lawn.

Tip for the do it your self. You can buy the scotts 4 step or go to oakland nursery and buy there 4 step program. I know the owner and he uses it on his own yard and he has no weeds and I can hardly keep up with mowing the grass it is so dam healthy. Tip 2 apply the weed and feed app when the grass is damp in the morning or night. The dry herbicide for the weeds will only work when the weeds are wet or damp. It works by leaf contact not by root.

• 2 weeks later...
I just want to get rid of dandelions

Me too man. Several years ago the city came thru and installed sewer lines on my street. The area they dug up is just loaded with dandelions. See below.

http://i.imgur.com/plxeQK4.png

I could cut my grass at 8pm and by 8am the next morning theyre 8" tall again. Looks like shit. Would i be best just killing everything and reseeding?

Just called T GRN guy quoted me over 5 times what a small deal wanted,when I said thats too much... he just hung up the phone..WTF

TruGreen was trying to charge me $70 per treatment. Creative Lawn Care charges me $32 per

I went to lowes and bought weed/feed on the 17th and spread it in the morning when there was dew. 10 days later and it looks no better.....

Thoughts?

We are trying this out for this year to see how it goes. I'm getting ready to put down step #2 this week, so I'm a little behind. For weeds I've been using a chemical that has 2 4-d as the main active ingredient. I sprayed the entire yard from a hand sprayer (make sure it wont kill your grass, just the weeds), waited 10 days and hit trouble areas again. Our yard isn't 100% weed free, but it is way better than it was last year at this time.

Tom

Tip for the do it your self. You can buy the scotts 4 step or go to oakland nursery and buy there 4 step program. I know the owner and he uses it on his own yard and he has no weeds and I can hardly keep up with mowing the grass it is so dam healthy..

I use this and it killed all the dandelions, and keeps the lawn great. Even with my neighbor who looks like he has a dandelion farm his stuff doesn't grow in my yard anymore.

Edited by Paul

Tip for the do it your self. You can buy the scotts 4 step or go to oakland nursery and buy there 4 step program. I know the owner and he uses it on his own yard and he has no weeds and I can hardly keep up with mowing the grass it is so dam healthy. QUOTE]

I use this and it killed all the dandelions, and keeps the lawn great. Even with my neighbor who looks like he has a dandelion farm his stuff doesn't grow in my yard anymore.

Link to the stuff youre buying?

Tip for the do it your self. You can buy the scotts 4 step or go to oakland nursery and buy there 4 step program. I know the owner and he uses it on his own yard and he has no weeds and I can hardly keep up with mowing the grass it is so dam healthy. Tip 2 apply the weed and feed app when the grass is damp in the morning or night. The dry herbicide for the weeds will only work when the weeds are wet or damp. It works by leaf contact not by root.

+1 to this

Link to the stuff youre buying?

http://www.scotts.com/smg/gocat/lawn-fertilizer-products/cat50024

Step #1 is the blue bag for Crabgrass

Step #2 is the Yellow bag for Weeds

Step #3 is the Orange bag for bugs

Step #4 is the Goldish sometimes bag for Fall Weed & Feed. This is the most important step for next spring. Also, don't get the Marron one, that one doesn't have the weed killer.

The "step" bags go to the smaller distributors usually like Roush Hardware. The big box stores like Lowe's get "Turf Builder"

Also, never combine steps 1,2 or 4 (Fall Weed & Feed version) and grass seed, the fertilizer will kill the seeds.

This stuff will knock down your dandelions

http://www.ruralking.com/agri-star-amine-400-2-4-d-2-5-gallon.html

I run about 4oz per gallon of spray, you will see anything that is not grass shrivel up the next day. 2.5 gallons should last you a few seasons.

http://www.ruralking.com/drexel-imitator-plus-glyphosate-weed-killer-2-5-gallon-jug-w-15-surfactant.html

Should knock down your bamboo. 8oz per gallon of water.

Buy the concentrate and save over the pre-mix crap at lowes.