Latest CL score

Lauren

Picked this beast up today. 1998 B5 Avant Quattro and V6. Motor is great and trans is awesome. Came with bilsteins sport shocks. Black leather heated seats. It needs rear control arm bushings as it eats tires after 4 months and valve cover gaskets. Paid $550 for it. Picked it up outside of Newark and drove it home and around all day. Put about 100 miles on it already. Love the V6 compared to the 1.8t. I got really sick and tired of messing with check valves and vacuum hoses and chasing down stupid sensors. Btw sold my Passat and parts car and all parts. Made good money on it.

Anyway here it is. Slamming it over the weekend and addressing the valve cover issues.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/Mobile%20Uploads/B3FB0DB6-2724-4942-9CFA-6E2B1BD0996D_zpsrgke1pww.jpg

Interior after a quick wipe down.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/Mobile%20Uploads/2E39AE86-7196-4EA1-B8B2-40B70E7BCD44_zpskkudcrk2.jpg

Haha I was just considering one of these for my new beater

Nice find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wanted a Quattro and even if I swapped the manual trans into my Passat it would still be fwd. when this thing popped up I new I had to have it. Pearl white is very rare on avant and with black leather in almost perfect condition it sealed the deal.

It's funny the couple I got it from had this and a older A6 wagon as a parts car. They wanted a whopping $750 for the pair. I have no use for the a6 so I snagged mine for $550. They had no idea what they had. Took it to a mechanic and was quoted 2k+ in suspension. Repair and valve cover gaskets so they just wanted to sell it. The lady drove it daily to and from OSU campus 5 days a week 60+ miles a day. The new tires every four months got to her haha.

Anyway my ECS box showed up today so valve cover, can seals, CCT half moon being replaced tomorrow and H&R cup kit also going on.

It's funny the couple I got it from had this and a older A6 wagon as a parts car. They wanted a whopping $750 for the pair. I have no use for the a6 so I snagged mine for $550. They had no idea what they had.

Yeah seriously, I know these cars are expensive to maintain and they typically become unreliable with age as a result, but it's still surprising to see people let them go for nothing

New tires every four month because of the needed 2k suspension work?

Yes if you pay a shop to replace all the control arms and bushings it adds up really fast. If you are smart and can work on your own car it's really not bad at all. I drive maybe 6 miles a day on a normal day. Tackling the bushings is not on my priority list right now.

I really wanted a Quattro and even if I swapped the manual trans into my Passat it would still be fwd. when this thing popped up I new I had to have it. Pearl white is very rare on avant and with black leather in almost perfect condition it sealed the deal.

It's funny the couple I got it from had this and a older A6 wagon as a parts car. They wanted a whopping $750 for the pair. I have no use for the a6 so I snagged mine for $550. They had no idea what they had. Took it to a mechanic and was quoted 2k+ in suspension. Repair and valve cover gaskets so they just wanted to sell it. The lady drove it daily to and from OSU campus 5 days a week 60+ miles a day. The new tires every four months got to her haha.

Anyway my ECS box showed up today so valve cover, can seals, CCT half moon being replaced tomorrow and H&R cup kit also going on.

And neither do you apparently. Enjoy the mechanical nightmare you just purchased, AGAIN.

And neither do you apparently. Enjoy the mechanical nightmare you just purchased, AGAIN.

I seriously do not understand your hate. I think I know this platform pretty well by now. The V6 is regarded as the much more reliable engine, the Quattro tranny is solid. This one doesn't suffer from any electrical issues. I'm not scared of high mileage vehicles like some. Perhaps it's because I know how to work on cars and car repair anything myself. I keep a car for maybe 6 months tops and like all the others in sure I will make money off of it when I sell.

At least since it was from Newark you shouldn't have had to worry much about it being an "ethnic" person to infect you and your wifes Christian values with some different culture.

Very true. Was pleasantly surprised by their ethnicity as well as learning the husband was from Alabama and a big Tide fan.

I seriously do not understand your hate. I think I know this platform pretty well by now. The V6 is regarded as the much more reliable engine' date=' the Quattro tranny is solid. This one doesn't suffer from any electrical issues. I'm not scared of high mileage vehicles like some. Perhaps it's because I know how to work on cars and car repair anything myself. I keep a car for maybe 6 months tops and like all the others in sure I will make money off of it when I sell.[/quote']

All because you're an Alabama "fan"

:gabe:

From what I read the dash cluster pixels, fragile k03 turbos, and suspension issues are the major players- how are the dash and turbos?

This is the 2.8 V6 so no turbos to deal with. I will say the passat and my blue a4 avant I bought last year never had turbo issues.

The dash pixels are about 60% functional. The entire cluster is fine it's just the center lcd display that's the issue. You can get them repaired but $100ish

• 4 weeks later...