Passenger comfort/safety

SchmuckGirl

So one of my bestest girlfriends has been in town all weekend. She's relatively small and light, so I've been badgering her to get on the bike with me and let me learn to carry a passenger. Well, with not too much going on yesterday, she couldn't put me off any longer :).

Between Mike and I, we scrounged up 3 sets of gear. Mike gave Missy the rundown of knowledge to help make it a successful ride for both of us. I hopped on the gixxer and braced for Missy to get on the back: Whoa! This is different!! I think if it was anyone else, I would have been more scared, but we've been friends for years and have been through so much together, there's alot of trust between us.

I took a quick 10 minute spin around the neighborhood to get the feel for riding 2 up and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can still accelerate, corner, watch traffic, and so on. The only thing I can't do is move my ass off the seat. We get back to the house and she is saying her arms hurt already from propping her weight on the tank of the bike. I realized that she was keeping a gap between our bodies, so as not to disturb my control of the bike, so I tell her that she can use me for support-to a certain extent. In fact, she better or she's going to get real tired, real fast.

We 3 suit up now and head for a casual ride north of sunbury area. At this point I'm loving it, I feel like I'm sharing my new favorite hobby with someone, it was just so fun to have a friend there with me the whole time. Of course, I couldn't keep up with Schmuck but the whole point of this exercise was to let me learn to have another body on the bike with me, not to tear up the roads.

Anyway, here is where I need tips: Missy found that if she moved closer to me, she was more comfortable, but if she moved too close, she would fall right off of her seat and into mine :eek:, not good. So I tried to compensate by moving backward in my seat to fill the gap and give her something to lean on. It felt a bit unnatural to me and I noticed that my hip flexors were screaming by the time we put the bike away for the night. I'm also wondering if I was sacrificing any safety by moving back like that. Anyone else have this issue and have any advice?

Riding 2 up is not something I want to do all the time but I want to be well rounded enough to be able to take a passenger without increasing the danger to either of us. It's probably no biggie to others, but I tend to overthink things.

Ummm, girl, I can't even understand how a passenger rides on a sport bike, for more than a few minutes. I just don't think a sport bike is made for that. And probably is why I still want the retro standard that I got. I rode a buddy down to his dealership to pick up his car, and it was easy. (yup, bitched it) Gals are lighter, not so bad. Not sure about cruisers, but I suppose the passenger is in pretty decent comfort if the seat is reasonable.

I never thought about the seat position you mention. That would be a problem. I think you will get used to it, sitting farther back with a passenger. On a standard with a flat seat, it's kinda the other way around, rider in front usually has to scoot forward.

The extra weight takes practice, and it is dangerous at first. Yes, people can fall off the back. You have to realize that with a passenger on-board, it's now all about the safety of the passenger, and ride accordingly to protect their safety first.

SchmuckGirl....

We watched you bang through the ramp from 23 to 270, and you had a really good lean with your "Luggage" on the back.......We all were very impressed, and said that after your next track day.....you will be a force to be reckoned with.....

PS.....

So who was your movie????? "Did she WORK on you in the DEN".....did I miss the photo opportunity???

Edited by BornSinner

More... you know about hand signals, but there is not a recognized set for two up. I have a few over the years.

Passenger taps right shoulder - wants to stop

Passenger taps left shoulder - wants to point something out

Passenger punches right kidney - wants to pee

Pilot pats left leg - wants to point something out (or likes the passenger)

Pilot slaps left leg quickly - wants rider to hang on tight

SchmuckGirl....

We watched you bang through the ramp from 23 to 270, and you had a really good lean with your "Luggage" on the back.......We all were very impressed, and said that after your next track day.....you will be a force to be reckoned with.....

The center of gravity moves up, the bike has to lean more for less? Yes?

edit: I've been on the back of an old Kaw 900 doing 100mph on a cloverleaf exit ramp... I trusted my buddy, but I never rode on the back of his bike again...

Edited by ReconRat

Schmuckgirl, sounds like you did everything right. There isn't a magic riding position for riding 2 up. Every passenger is going to force you to make different adjustments in different situations. Sadly, it's gonna be trial and more trial (some say error). Your legs/hips got tired more quickly, but that will subside once you figure out the more comfortable and beneficial position for you.

Going 2 up w/an experienced passenger or rider would make finding your spot & line easier. On your ride yesterday both you and your passenger were learning 2 up riding for the first time, which increases the learning curve.

Good luck convincing Schmuck to ride bitch while you master 2 up riding! :D

Yep, sounds like you were making all the right moves... did she respond accordingly? Did she clamp down on you while you were between her legs... were the vibrations the same with 2 of you as opposed to doing it solo? Holy shit... I gotta go... but I'll check back for more details later

AOW, that's funny! RC51John said the same thing, if I REALLY want to learn how to carry someone, Schmuck would be the real challenge.

ReconRat, thank you. I never even thought of establishing hand signals before we left and I found myself wondering from time to time how she would warn me if she was scared, tired or needed to stop.

TGrose, yes, yes and yes ;)

Sinner, thanks. I have sooo much more learning to do. I can't wait for more track day knowledge and to grow as a rider and TRUST more. To answer your question, yea, she really worked me good in the den. I have a good body buzz right now and feel amazing..... :p

Wow !! Your first 2 up and you delt with all the issue's great except you don't have to worry about your passenger smashing your buddies into the tank,and there isn't an easy fix for any of it. Sportbikes suck for 2 up riding. Some of the older gixxers and cbr's aren't as bad though. I don't think I could sit back there at all, Ide fall the fuck off !! My fighters work alot better as I sit upright with dirty bike bars.

I always got smacked in the back of the head/helmet when the ex got scared or wanted to tell me something. :(

I got smacked in the head but it was her helmet hitting my helmet. Lol, I guess I need to work on my throttle control with the new gearing.....

I'm looking for a set of passenger hand signals on Google...

Not finding much yet, but finding lots of interesting articles for passengers.

And not bad for rider/pilot either. I don't agree with everything I'm reading, but it's a start...

http://www.virginiawind.com/tips/passenger.asp

http://www99.epinions.com/content_1363386500

http://www.victorvalleyhog.com/Tips_on_being_a_good_passenger.htm

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/motorcycle_passenger/index.html

http://www.endosruedaspr.com/how_to_be_a_motorcycle_passenger.htm

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/tourtechntips/122_0010_two_up_riding/index.html

Podcast: from http://shinypodcast.blogspot.com/ - bi-weekly episodes on motorcycles

http://www.switchpod.com/users/shinysideup/Episode6CarryingaPassenger.mp3

Note: I've had a couple of close calls / near crashes, for putting a passenger on the back that didn't know what to do or expect. It's not just all fun, it's a responsibility to both pilot and co-pilot on a bike, to do it right.

:lol: as she said, if she would hold the strap, she would be fisting herself :lol:

ummmmm.......... yeah.... she would be..... soooooooooo....... I guess I don't understand the humor on here:confused:

I got smacked in the head but it was her helmet hitting my helmet. Lol, I guess I need to work on my throttle control with the new gearing.....

That's passenger error, not pilot error. My helmet was new for 2 whole weeks before the wife was nice enough to decorate the backside w/divots...

i like when i ride a passenger then get to go by myself. totally different ballgame. bike feels so much lighter and more flickable.

That's pretty much what I was thinking..... 'wow, the next time I get into this corner on my bike, I'm going to feel so light and free!'