Passenger comfort/safety

SchmuckGirl

I've only ever ridden 2 people on my bike. My g/f and my cousin.

my g/f latches on to me with a deathgrip, and leans against my back...(makes me uncomfortable for longer rides, but it makes her feel safe, so whatever)

my cousin sat pretty much straight up and down, and just held onto my jacket pockets, didn't even notice a passenger most of the time. The bike felt a little heavier and sluggish, but not any less comfortable.

I've only ever ridden 2 people on my bike. My g/f and my cousin.

my g/f latches on to me with a deathgrip, and leans against my back...(makes me uncomfortable for longer rides, but it makes her feel safe, so whatever)

my cousin sat pretty much straight up and down, and just held onto my jacket pockets, didn't even notice a passenger most of the time. The bike felt a little heavier and sluggish, but not any less comfortable.

Two opposites! You need a nice middle of the road passenger....

I think a huge difference is knowledge about riding. I hadn't doubled in years except on dirtbikes and this year I doubled a few times so far and the person had some riding experience and that made a huge difference.

I think the best was is to have them hold on, not too tight naturally, during normal riding, but once braking is required at a light or something like that, then put their hands on the tank. I caught a helmet to the back of the dome a few times, but nothing hardcore.

If the person doesn't have riding experience I think its important to cover the basics first too.

And honestly, Id say my bike probably is more user friendly then the true sport bikes just due to thet setup.

Glad Missy got to ride!

yea it SUCKS sitting back in your seat to eliminate the gap between you and the passenger. My r6 was way better with passengers than the 675, hauled a girl Saturday and it was really painful on the shoulders.

I think a huge difference is knowledge about riding. I hadn't doubled in years except on dirtbikes and this year I doubled a few times so far and the person had some riding experience and that made a huge difference.

I think the best was is to have them hold on, not too tight naturally, during normal riding, but once braking is required at a light or something like that, then put their hands on the tank. I caught a helmet to the back of the dome a few times, but nothing hardcore.

If the person doesn't have riding experience I think its important to cover the basics first too.

And honestly, Id say my bike probably is more user friendly then the true sport bikes just due to thet setup.

Glad Missy got to ride!

Me too! I knew there was no way to make it to your meet-up point in time, so we took it safe and slow around the neighborhood for awhile before we went out with Mike

She says she'll never get a bike of her own but she was happy to get a feel for what I'm so obsessed about and she would 2 up with me again...

Next time we'll show her around your neck of the woods :metal:

AOW, that's funny! RC51John said the same thing, if I REALLY want to learn how to carry someone, Schmuck would be the real challenge.

ReconRat, thank you. I never even thought of establishing hand signals before we left and I found myself wondering from time to time how she would warn me if she was scared, tired or needed to stop.

TGrose, yes, yes and yes ;)

Sinner, thanks. I have sooo much more learning to do. I can't wait for more track day knowledge and to grow as a rider and TRUST more. To answer your question, yea, she really worked me good in the den. I have a good body buzz right now and feel amazing..... :p

Sounds like a good first 2 up ride.

There's very little movement for you to move with a passenger.

Your hips hurt because she was clamping onto you.

The helmets knocking together happens.

If it's an experienced rider then they will know when they need to shift thier hand positioning (i.e. tank or waist).

Trust me you do not want them leaning on you for extended periods. It'll piss you of on long rides.

Sounds like a good first 2 up ride.

There's very little movement for you to move with a passenger.

Your hips hurt because she was clamping onto you.

The helmets knocking together happens.

If it's an experienced rider then they will know when they need to shift thier hand positioning (i.e. tank or waist).

Trust me you do not want them leaning on you for extended periods. It'll piss you off on long rides.

this is why cruisers are better for passengers... they get to lean BACK and enjoy the ride.... it's just a pain when they fight the lean in the curves.... but on the other hand I could see where having boobies pushed up against you wouldn't be a bad thing....

this is why cruisers are better for passengers... they get to lean BACK and enjoy the ride.... it's just a pain when they fight the lean in the curves.... but on the other hand I could see where having boobies pushed up against you wouldn't be a bad thing....

Having a beautiful chick with big boobs on the back of your bike.....is awesome. If they know what they are doing at least.

I don't know whats in the water now, but for some reason...alot of women today are scared to even get near a bike. At least in my luck. :nono:

Likely due to previous experience with their squidly ex-boyfriends...

as if it's a bad thing...

I'd RATHER ride solo, every time...but I'd rather ride 2-up than drive...

The less people wanting to be on my bike the better. "It's okay, you go ahead and drive yourself, I'll meet you there"

as if it's a bad thing...

I'd RATHER ride solo, every time...but I'd rather ride 2-up than drive...

The less people wanting to be on my bike the better. "It's okay, you go ahead and drive yourself, I'll meet you there"

I like to ride solo most of the time as well. Only because with a passenger, i feel the need to ride the bike like a moped. I, like most don't want anything to happen to the passenger, due to my part.

Not to mention, riding solo gives us all the opportunity to open up the bike when ever we want.

I like to ride solo most of the time as well. Only because with a passenger, i feel the need to ride the bike like a moped. I, like most don't want anything to happen to the passenger, due to my part.

Not to mention, riding solo gives us all the opportunity to open up the bike when ever we want.

True on all points. I definitely wouldn't want a passenger all the time. But once, it was nice to just take it easy and share a ride with a friend

True on all points. I definitely wouldn't want a passenger all the time. But once, it was nice to just take it easy and share a ride with a friend

Voice from the past: Happiness on a motorcycle is measured by whether you keep the suspension set for one, or two.

I'm sorry there are so few standards now, it's all sports and cruisers. On a standard the passenger can lean forward, backward, or sit straight up. It's really meant for two.

edit: (so is a scooter, but I don't want to hear that!)

Having a beautiful chick with big boobs on the back of your bike.....is awesome. If they know what they are doing at least.

I don't know whats in the water now, but for some reason...alot of women today are scared to even get near a bike. At least in my luck. :nono:

Likely due to previous experience with their squidly ex-boyfriends...

A couple of us stopped for a break at Mt. Pleasant in Lancaster. Thats when the squidage started squiding everywhere. Ill admit i was embarrassed right up to when some tool almost bit it doing a blip wheelie in the parking lot. oh and the "girlfriends" were bigger than the guys for the most part. :lol:

A couple of us stopped for a break at Mt. Pleasant in Lancaster. Thats when the squidage started squiding everywhere. Ill admit i was embarrassed right up to when some tool almost bit it doing a blip wheelie in the parking lot. oh and the "girlfriends" were bigger than the guys for the most part. :lol:

Yes. It gets real squidish down here. I have a love/hate relationship with Lancaster. Alot of the biker's here don't wear much of anything. In my experiences of living here, way too many people want to race. Whether they are riding bikes, or driving 2 tone, mis-matched rims and tires, more stickers than horsepower...imports. I've even witnessed a guy riding a pink bike around here.

I had a guy driving a 4 cyl Ranger try to race me in a 400 hp Fairlane at one time. Funny stuff. :lol:

Then again, 33 towards Sugar Grove is usually uncongested, and past Mt. Pleasant there are some great roads to explore.

Oh and some dude in a import, i think...last year? Hit a woman on Memorial dr. Racing of course. Didn't stop, said he was scared. :nono:

Thats when the squidage started squiding everywhere. Ill admit i was embarrassed right up to when some tool almost bit it doing a blip wheelie in the parking lot. oh and the "girlfriends" were bigger than the guys for the most part. :lol:

I admit to lurking the hell out of this thread but when I read that I was compelled to post and :lol:

That is all. As you were.

the only thing I notice when riding 2 up on my 929rr is that I can not shift nearly as smooth as I do when I am solo.. it drives me nuts....
^odd. im the opposite.

I'll have to agree with Nate on this.

When I'm 2 up I start using the clutch to shift.