AGM Batteries

Radio Flyer1647545514

Any recommendations on these? I'm looking to power a fridge in my truck in the future. I'm not looking to cut anything to install the battery. Batteries plus recommended me to this. I was told these are outperforming odyssey batteries and that optima aren't what they used to be since they moved production to Mexico.

I'm looking to power an ARB 40qt fridge and recharge on solar.

Northstar (who makes the X2power) seem to have good reviews online, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I'm a Deka (East Penn) fan in terms of AGM. And I wouldn't touch an optima.

Here's an olderish post that states who makes what.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/battery-information.610857/

I'd recommend gel over AGM for your use. Gel resist heat and being VERY deep cycled better, in case you ever forget to charge or disconnect. Downside is you'll need a gel specific charger.

No help on these but have you Looked into finding some used cell phone tower battery's. Alot of the boondockers are using these with solar. Very affordable and reliable.

thanks for adding to my weekly ebay/craigslist search terms

Not familiar with that battery specifically, but two recommendations (using marine/deep cycle, and Deka) are spot on. Not sure about AGM v. gel (I use nothing but AGM, but my requirements are 100+ amp high-rate discharge, not deep discharge). Eli (if he's still lurking) might know more about that since he was working with batteries even before I was.

Gel are supposed to be better than AGM but working with them in real world the AGMs have proven to be more durable, hold charges better and cheaper.

It's because charging batteries produces gas. In a gel battery, the gas bubbles sit between the plates and the gel, then there is no more chemical reaction. The battery dies, even though everything in the battery is still "good". They stopped using gel cells years ago in my industry but a lot of people still use the term; they're just talking about AGM batteries.

I will always prefer a wet cell over AGM, AGM over gel.