Electric Water Heaters

Sully

I need some recommendations on electric water heaters. I currently have a Rheem that's 43 years old. It still functions, but I think it's time to replace it. I have been reading reviews on Rheems from the Home Depot site, but the reviews are all over the place. I'm going to install it myself, so I can either order online or pick it up in the store. I'd just like to get another one that will last. I'm hoping some of you have experience with water heaters and can give me some to look at.

Requirements:

Electric

50 gallons

No anode rod

Energy efficient, meaning < $500 annually

Tall

Brass Drain Valve

TIA for the suggestions.

Consider a heat pump wh?

I bought a GE Heat Pump Electric 50 gallon a year ago from Lowes and its been great. It replacde a huge 100 gallon leased tank that was in the house when we moved in. If you have AEP they have a $500 rebate on them. Then you can use a 10% off coupon from Lowes to buy a 10 year warranty with it. That makes it not that much more expensive than a regular electric. It does have an anode rod though. I thought most wh's do though? Does it not keep the tank of rotting out?

I need some recommendations on electric water heaters. I currently have a Rheem that's 43 years old. It still functions, but I think it's time to replace it. I have been reading reviews on Rheems from the Home Depot site, but the reviews are all over the place. I'm going to install it myself, so I can either order online or pick it up in the store. I'd just like to get another one that will last. I'm hoping some of you have experience with water heaters and can give me some to look at.

Requirements:

Electric

50 gallons

No anode rod

Energy efficient, meaning < $500 annually

Tall

Brass Drain Valve

TIA for the suggestions.

I just put in a Rheem 50gal so I don't have much to say other than no problems thus far.

On a side note, if you have the panel space and enough amps going to your house, have you considered tankless?

Consider a heat pump wh?

I bought a GE Heat Pump Electric 50 gallon a year ago from Lowes and its been great. It replacde a huge 100 gallon leased tank that was in the house when we moved in. If you have AEP they have a $500 rebate on them. Then you can use a 10% off coupon from Lowes to buy a 10 year warranty with it. That makes it not that much more expensive than a regular electric. It does have an anode rod though. I thought most wh's do though? Does it not keep the tank of rotting out?

We have had ours since 2014. We are on well water, and the Geosprings come with a magnesium anode rod. Changing to an aluminum is recommended for wells that high iron and keep hot water oder down. Without going tankless, I'm not sure there is a water heater without a anode rod. That are sacrificial to preserve the tank, and are meant to be replaced.

On a side note, if you have the panel space and enough amps going to your house, have you considered tankless?

Is electric tankless even worth considering, given how expensive electricity is compared to gas? (Assuming, of course, Sully's got gas service)

Consider a heat pump wh?

I was told by an independent plumber to stay away from heat pump water heaters. He said that he had a few customers with them and they are always breaking down. So, I don't know.

I have well water and a water softener. Because of that, the anode rod causes the water to smell like sulfur. I have 2 options, buy one without the rod, or buy one with and then remove the rod. If I remove the rod, it will void the warranty of the heater, so I'd rather buy one without.

I just put in a Rheem 50gal so I don't have much to say other than no problems thus far.

I don't have the panel space and it's more costly in the long run.

I don't have the panel space and it's more costly in the long run.

Yeah, if you don't have the panel space, it's probably not worth it since panel upgrades are expensive.

Really a Gas tankless is better than electric. Gas is cheap and more efficient right now since the technology for electric tankless isn't quite there yet to compete with gas. That being said, since I don't have gas at my house, if I ever had the money to have my panel upgraded, (which I should do regardless of a water heater), i'd go to electric tankless.

I was told by an independent plumber to stay away from heat pump water heaters. He said that he had a few customers with them and they are always breaking down. So, I don't know.

I have well water and a water softener. Because of that, the anode rod causes the water to smell like sulfur. I have 2 options, buy one without the rod, or buy one with and then remove the rod. If I remove the rod, it will void the warranty of the heater, so I'd rather buy one without.

Its definitely more complicated for sure. There are different brands though, the GE seems to get reviewed very well. There were earlier models that didn't rate so well. Maybe he's serviced earlier gen, crappier brands? Who know's.

I have well water and a softener as well. I replaced my anode rod with a generic aluminum one which helps. But then about every 6-8 weeks I dump a bottle of peroxide in my whole house filter and run it through and let it sit for an hour or so.

I did read the tankless ones can become problematic on well water homes unless they are cleaned on a regular basis. I just couldn't justify the upfront cost along with not having the panel space for it to begin with.

Derek, we have seen and read the same things. I believe in 2013, GE went to all American assembly and parts in the GeoSpring. That fix many of the issues people were having with them, along with tougher quality control. The units had a red top to them. They switched to a grey top in 2015, or late 2014, and they are almost no issues with them. I have a 2014 red top and it does it's job.

Well water, and changing to the aluminum anode along with the peroxide added fixes 95% of the oder, if you only smell it with hot water. If you smell it with cold water, shock your well, and you will be all set.

FYI, my dad's plumber recommended the heat pump water heater, because he doesn't get called to fix them anymore. I was shocked my dad had one. He was clueless about it. He just wanted the low cost of use, with just him in the house. Annual cost is $220.

Here's one without the anode rod, with a lifetime warranty on the tank, 6 year parts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Marathon-50-Gal-Lifetime-Warranty-Electric-Water-Heater-with-Durable-Design-MR50245/205466186

The annual cost is a bit higher than I'd like, but I'm sure it's a hell of a lot less than what I'm paying now and wouldn't have to deal with the stinky water.

I'm confused by you post. The anode is not the source of the smelly water. The rod does its job. Over time, it needs replaced and that is when you smell the hot water. Peroxide and chlorine are other items to aid in fighting smelly water.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html

I have an AOE... stay away, I repeat, stay away from them... nothing but problems and it's new.... like we're talking have to go down and reset the damn thing all the time. Had someone come out under warranty, they rebuilt it and left a mess for me to clean up (water everywhere) Hot water doesn't last long, etc... Sorry, I can't tell you who to go with, but I can tell you who not to go with :-)

Finally decided to break down and get this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-Platinum-50-Gal-Tall-12-Year-5500-5500-Watt-Elements-Electric-Water-Heater-with-LCD-Touch-Control-Display-XE50T12EC55U1/205810438

The LCD panel on the front was messed up. Some of the letters weren't legible. I called their support line and will have a new panel on Wednesday. Let's hope this is the only thing that goes wrong with it for a very long time.

The anode rod is not what makes your water smell. What are you going to do when your water has Oder, but there is no anode rod?

Everything I have read says the same thing:

The most common cause of smelly water is anaerobic bacteria that exist in some water and react with the magnesium and aluminum sacrificial anodes that come with most water heaters to produce hydrogen sulfide gas, making the classic rotten egg odor. The problem is most common in well systems, either private or municipal.