School me on AR building

El Karacho1647545492

I've always been a DIYer, a tinkerer, but often without any discipline or direction. Before I went crazy on tinkering, I just sold my Windham AR, but I could feel the urge coming to go nuts with it.

What things should I keep in mind if I decide to build an AR from the ground up? Seems like parts compatibility is something that should always be kept in mind though quality parts will usually play nice together.

I just want a new gun project and this seems a good place to start.

As I has asked in the other thread, what are your plans in how you intend to use it? Safe trophy, shooting long range, competition of some sort, "hey guys look at my cool AR"?

How much are you looking to spend?

This, this, this.

Joe and Howard gave me some great advice that lead to my last purchase based on what info I gave them.

As I has asked in the other thread, what are your plans in how you intend to use it? Safe trophy, shooting long range, competition of some sort, "hey guys look at my cool AR"?

How much are you looking to spend?

Paper serial killer/safe trophy is my M.O. Not trying to take down an elephant or trapse through Tora Bora.

To be honest, of all the guns I've owned I've probably cleaned them twice as often as I've shot them. I played with Legos and K'nex as a kid like it was my job, now I'm basically doing the same thing except now my puzzles are guns and motorcycles and cars.

I'm not one to turn my nose up at a brand if they are inexpensive instead of cheap, but I always prefer quality parts. Budget would start out at, say, $600-900 but parts would be bought with the possibility of upgrading in the future. I believe in investing in a solid platform with the idea that ancillary items can be purchased later. When they're on sale. Because I'm a cheap-ass.

I'm trying not to tell you the the gun you had was all you need, given your price range and what you have posted.

Click on this link and link the one you have in mind.

https://www.google.com/search?q=AR15&biw=1280&bih=590&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidy_iEi-PPAhVEGz4KHfPJCIcQ_AUIBygC

http://watchdogwire.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/florida/files/2013/01/516patrol-600x286.jpg

handguard length doesn't really matter to me. would consider calibers other than 5.56 but I assume those parts are the most common/least expensive.

EDIT: you're totally right though, the gun I had was all I needed. it just came to me fully assembled, but replicating it with minor changes (no gas block sight for instance) and building it myself to try to learn a new skill is probably what i'm most interested in.

A fixed front sight is one of the most over looked usable feature of these weapons. You can still run an optic. The right rear iron sights will allow for target engagement out to 600m with a 16" barrel. Many fold down front sights are not the same hight as a fixed front sight. That means you are zeroed to one distance and lose the versatility of the weapon. Many people are running optic only and no irons, and for the most part that is fine for many. Solid irons that are dialed in and a good optic as an option, that makes a combo for a battle rifle. Given your price range, a good optic isn't what you want to do right now, since you would be looking at $250-$1500 depending on what you went with.

I don't see why so many people want to build one vs buy one from a manufacture who has done the R&D to put together parts that work, unless you have access to the tools or plan to build a few he cost is no where near justified when you can go buy one complete ready to rock and roll for a fraction of money more than your pieces ...

No buying one and modding it different story. That I understand but it's like building a car from each piece instead of buying one and changing what you want

I don't see why so many people want to build one vs buy one from a manufacture who has done the R&D to put together parts that work, unless you have access to the tools or plan to build a few he cost is no where near justified when you can go buy one complete ready to rock and roll for a fraction of money more than your pieces ...

No buying one and modding it different story. That I understand but it's like building a car from each piece instead of buying one and changing what you want

More people buy them assembled (vs building) I would guess.

For those that don't it's probably because they want better parts than what the factory comes with, so it isn't necessarily cheaper to buy it assembled and then change a bunch of parts. The list of tools required is pretty small for building a lower, and people who like building things might have those tools around the garage already.

Sure it's probably easier to buy a $600 M&P ready to rock, but I can build one with better parts and more features for about the same cost, and have fun doing it. The M&P may have been assembled using a more exact process, but I'll take the better rifle assembled 99% as well

The only exception to this is someone who buys all the stock factory parts and assembles on their own, and I would guess that they value they get from learning how to do it is worth the extra cost to them.

Build it with a factory A2 front sight like Joe states and a good rear sight and you wont go wrong. All my builds have LMT, Rock River or Spikes lower parts kit and I have never had a single issue with any of them. I also run aftermarket triggers in all my rifles which are Geissele and ALG. All my rifles are meant to be beat and have never failed.

Its fun for me to build, use and shoot a creation more so then slapping an built upper and built lower together. It also allows you to troubleshoot errors if or when you have one.

Build it with a factory A2 front sight like Joe states and a good rear sight and you wont go wrong. All my builds have LMT, Rock River or Spikes lower parts kit and I have never had a single issue with any of them. I also run aftermarket triggers in all my rifles which are Geissele and ALG. All my rifles are meant to be beat and have never failed.

Its fun for me to build, use and shoot a creation more so then slapping an built upper and built lower together. It also allows you to troubleshoot errors if or when you have one.

I think you do it the way I'd do it. Will reconsider the iron front sight, I wasn't a fan of the inability to drop it but I totally see the rationale for having it. optics are not a consideration at this time.

I personally hate the front A2 sight. I dislike having anything appear in my optic, and it limits my rail choice.

As others have stated in this thread, they prefer them. It's really all about what works for you.

All your cost is going to be in your barrel, rail(depending on what route you go) and your trigger. Everything else is going to be ground noise in comparison.

Pay attention if the parts are made for mil spec or commercial. Those aren't grades of quality, they are dimensional standards. So milspec parts won't interchange with commercial. I find most people prefer milspec because there are more parts available.

I'll probably get flack for this, but I don't have backup irons on any of my guns. I just run a single optic.

If I were you i'd build a lower and then go shoot some different people's uppers to see what you prefer. Then build your upper based off that.

You make it seem like you need more than a roll pin punch and small hammer to "build" these. Unless you do an 80% lower. That's like $15 in tools of you don't have one?

Too bad it's already sold. You could have just bought this one:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125798

:gabe:

Some guys like to buy cars, some guys like to build cars, some guys like me have to buy a car in order to discover that what they wanted all along was to build a car.