Travel packages

jerrodh

Planning a honeymoon Destination Honolulu from Cleveland or Akron Airport. Looking for sugguestions. Did you book airfare & hotels yourself? Go to a travel guide (AAA?) I'm at a lost before never did anything like this outside of planned business trips and have no idea where to begin when to leave, how many days we even really want or anything haha...

I've booked everything myself for most of my travels. I use Kayak to search for hotels and airfare, and it has worked very well. I just started using amex travel though, so we will see what works best. I personally like to read peoples reviews of hotels before booking.

Good to know about Kayak I was looking at it the other night. When flying so far west what time would you recommend aimming for as far as leaving and arriving? I thought it would be best to arrive late afternoon even evening so we could grab dinner then go to bed at a decent time.

We are going to Punta Cana next month and booked with southwest vacations. We liked a resort on their site the best that was adult only and had the best deal we could find at the time. I did check most online places like Kayak, Cheapcaribbean, ect and also checked AAA. AAA did have some great cyber monday deals that we missed out on.

First time we went to Punta Cana was a groupon with vacationexpress.com. For what we paid it was a good deal. Whoever you book with check out the resort on tripadviser first.

I've done 2 Groupon Getaways- one to Cancun and one to Punta Cana. Both were WELL worth what I paid. Hell, the Punta Cana one was 5 nights w/ airfare, all inclusive with food and alcohol and it was only $399 a person, right from Columbus to the DR. You can't even spend 5 nights in Columbus for $400.

General bits of advice: On the way out to your destination, book at least a 2 hour layover in a decent airport. Yeah, airport shit is expensive and you didn't go on vacation to look at a million Hudson News stands, but the longer the layover the better chance you have of arriving with all your checked bags. And it's always nice to fly without a time crunch. And 6 beers in between flights helps with the sleeping. I never care about my bags/layover on the way home.

Just fly Southwest. I've flown AA recently and it's been awful, and United seems to be having issues too. SW or Delta IMO, and SW is so cheap and has the best customer service. And free checked bags. Sometimes it's worth it to upgrade so you can board before everyone, especially if you're flying as a pair.

Travel agents can and often do provide the service of just knowing which hotels/resorts are actually awesome and which ones just know how to take good photos.

On the way there, fly as early as possible to prevent delays. On the way home, fly as late as possible so a potential delay gets you an extra day off work.

EDIT: And if you don't fly SW, when you get to the departure gate, walk straight to the gate agent and inquire about the cost to upgrade to First Class (only worth it to do this on the longer legs of your flight). Be really lovey-dovey with your woman and make sure to let them know it's your honeymoon and you're wondering if it's worth it to treat yourselves just once. Gate agents are people too, and they like making people happy when they can. Smile and be nice and you might be surprised at a free upgrade.

Enjoy!

General bits of advice: On the way out to your destination, book at least a 2 hour layover in a decent airport. Yeah, airport shit is expensive and you didn't go on vacation to look at a million Hudson News stands, but the longer the layover the better chance you have of arriving with all your checked bags. And it's always nice to fly without a time crunch. And 6 beers in between flights helps with the sleeping. I never care about my bags/layover on the way home.

Just fly Southwest. I've flown AA recently and it's been awful, and United seems to be having issues too. SW or Delta IMO, and SW is so cheap and has the best customer service. And free checked bags. Sometimes it's worth it to upgrade so you can board before everyone, especially if you're flying as a pair.

Travel agents can and often do provide the service of just knowing which hotels/resorts are actually awesome and which ones just know how to take good photos.

On the way there, fly as early as possible to prevent delays. On the way home, fly as late as possible so a potential delay gets you an extra day off work.

EDIT: And if you don't fly SW, when you get to the departure gate, walk straight to the gate agent and inquire about the cost to upgrade to First Class (only worth it to do this on the longer legs of your flight). Be really lovey-dovey with your woman and make sure to let them know it's your honeymoon and you're wondering if it's worth it to treat yourselves just once. Gate agents are people too, and they like making people happy when they can. Smile and be nice and you might be surprised at a free upgrade.

Enjoy!

Haha this is all great. Love the last portion about upgrading.