Truck Owners: Come On In

wagner

I have a f150, v8 gas, tows my featherlight with the marauder pretty well, I also have a f350, 6.2 gas, you can't even tell the trailer is behind it at 80. And.....the 350 gets better mpg with the car and trailer behind it.

My trailer weight is 2900 lbs and the car, spare tires, some tools, 4400lbs. My experience is the 3/4 and 1 tons have better resale, and you can get all the same creature comforts of some of the 1/2 tons.

That's a great looking rig. Will this replace the yaris as well?

No, Yaris will stay on as a backup car.

I'm not sure if I want to business with this dealership now, they are playing games already.

Oh well, it's not like I have to buy a truck right now, I just wanted to try and get some ideas.

Lots of people are singing the praises of a 1500 and what they say makes sense, but I'm trying to think long term and cover the IF and I need the extra towing.

I would also keep the Yaris presuming you have the space for it. Because I bought my truck for towing/hauling, I love not having to feed it gas when I'm not using it for those things.

I used a 1500 5.3 Silverado towing Subaru's on a 1100# trailer getting around 14-15mpg towing near 70mph and it was fine, but you 'Murican car guys weigh what I would call "a lot" more plus most people would prefer a full deck 18' trailer vs. my open center 15' trailer, which puts you closer to 1800-2200# pending construction. Or you could ball hard and go with a full Aluminum deck 18' trailer that is closer to the 1200-1400# range.

End of story, make sure when you sit down to budget. Heavily consider what you are going to use for a trailer as well. Huge price difference between steel and aluminum trailers and noticeable weight differences.

Hell I'm sure someone on here can let you borrow their trailer, put your car in it and then go test drive a 1500 and 2500. go pull the trailer around with it, see what you think and see if it's worth it in just a short test drive

Hell I'm sure someone on here can let you borrow their trailer, put your car in it and then go test drive a 1500 and 2500. go pull the trailer around with it, see what you think and see if it's worth it in just a short test drive

+1 to this

My tacoma is rated for 6700# or something like that. I put 2k on the back and decided that was plenty, towed like shit. Put 7k+ on my dad's 6.0 2500hd and it could have cared less.

My 1500 RAM didnt give too much of a shit about the heavy Uhaul trailer behind it, or the pig of a car on top of it.

My ram 1500 has taken everything I've thrown at it for 160k miles without batting an eye. I say look at all of them and when one fits your budget get it.