Home Contractors?

87GT

Before I start calling around can anyone ball park what this would cost me? The back door to my house is too small. I want to make it bigger so I can fit a normal size fridge in my house. I can only fit in a 15-18cu ft through. Also the entry way from the back room to my kitchen is also too small. My problem is the back room is a newer addition and the wall where the kitchen is used to be my exterior wall. I would need to widen this as well to fit in a normal size fridge.

All depends on structure and load bearing placement ,

Your rough guess will be just that a guess without actually checking and seeing what your working with. Having to add structure to support anything load bearing and the permits to do this work can double triple the cost easily.

Your rough guess will be just that a guess without actually checking and seeing what your working with. Having to add structure to support anything load bearing and the permits to do this work can double triple the cost easily.

I could go in through the front room to the kitchen. Same issue with being too small of an opening. That wall I know for sure is not a load bearing wall.

Even taking the house and fridge doors off? You can gain many inches doing that.

Yes without fridge and back door off the hinges is still not wide enough.

Bro. What the fuck are you talking about? Why would cutting out extra room for a door (on an already existing door) have anything to do with load bearing? Noob.

OP: Take a circular saw, cut out what you want to do, frame it in, put new door. Probably not you personally, but this is a very common job on older houses.

Bro. What the fuck are you talking about? Why would cutting out extra room for a door (on an already existing door) have anything to do with load bearing? Noob.

OP: Take a circular saw, cut out what you want to do, frame it in, put new door. Probably not you personally, but this is a very common job on older houses.

I cant tell if this is sarcasm?

A exterior door will usually have a header. This header rests on the studs adjacent to said door. You would have to take it all out and put a new header in with jack and king studs....you know...load bearing.

Even if it isn't directly holding up trusses or rafters, it is likely headered to hold up that portion of wall above. We are talking about an exterior door here.

Edited by iwashmycar
exterior

Everyone laugh it up. I misunderstood because he said it used to be his exterior wall, but I missed the part where he's modifying an additional door.

My bad. Reading>me...Steve will never let me hear the end of this.

Everyone laugh it up. I misunderstood because he said it used to be his exterior wall, but I missed the part where he's modifying an additional door.

I won't hold it against you as you claimed responsibility

Let's be clear here, an interior door could also be headered and carry a big load. Not uncommon at all. You definitely don't want to just start cutting the Jacks/studs out of a doorway thinking that you can just widen it. That's a good way to catch a joist with your head.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Let's be clear here, an interior door could also be headered and carry a big load. Not uncommon at all.

My house is a conventional 2-story with full basement, and is exactly this. The door to my basement sits approximately in the center of the house and has a headerheader supports a joist running the length of the 1st floor. It effectively supports the whole 2nd floor.