Is there a source for #1 diesel in town?

williaty

I'm looking to store a bunch of diesel for my tractor. Since I need to fill up now (I'm out), I want to blend #1 and #2 diesel to get the cloud point low enough to tolerate anything we might get this winter. #2 is easy to find on any street corner. Where can I get some #1 at the pump? Bonus points if it's on the east side of Columbus or between Columbus and Newark.

Thanks.

I'm looking to store a bunch of diesel for my tractor. Since I need to fill up now (I'm out), I want to blend #1 and #2 diesel to get the cloud point low enough to tolerate anything we might get this winter. #2 is easy to find on any street corner. Where can I get some #1 at the pump? Bonus points if it's on the east side of Columbus or between Columbus and Newark.

Thanks.

Not trying to be a dick in the slightest but if you're looking for farm tractor diesel you're prob better off using google that CR.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

CR's resident farm boy

PS - we didn't use that type of diesel on our farm. Just percheron's.

Not trying to be a dick in the slightest but if you're looking for farm tractor diesel you're prob better off using google that CR.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

CR's resident farm boy

Nah, I'm not trying to chase ag diesel, just normal road diesel. I tried googling, but it was spectacularly unhelpful. I figured here on CR enough of the guys might have a diesel pickup as a 2nd vehicle that there was a chance someone knew where I could buy some.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

CR's resident farm boy

Lol you're a "farm boy" and don't know the difference between Ag diesel and #1 and #2 diesel.

Lol you're a "farm boy" and don't know the difference between Ag diesel and #1 and #2 diesel.

Well, to be fair, he said his main power product (percherons) are a few million years short of being diesel. :lol:

The meijer at 33 and diley used to have separate pumps for #1 and #2 and also had 100% gasoline. But that was 3 years ago that I've lived near there.

Oh, that's pretty close. I'll go check that out this weekend sometime. Thanks!

(well, pretty close in terms of how far I've had to drive to find oddball fuels like E0 and 1-K with good quality)

I can swing by meijer on diley and check for you. What am I looking for on the pumps?

Over at the diesel pumps, they should be labeled "#1 Diesel" or "#2 Diesel" just like the gas pumps are labeled Regular, Premium, etc. Also, since the one guy said the gas there is E0, why don't you check the gas pumps too. They should say how much ethanol they have in them.

I'm probably the only one interested in the diesel, but many people on CR would be interested in finding E0 gas.

Thanks a bunch for doing this!

Fuel Depot in Delaware only has on-road and off-road diesel, no #1 currently.

I would think that this makes more sense for you:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/diesel/diesel-cold-flow/?code=ADDCN-EA

I wouldn't treat your whole re-supply now, I would wait until late fall. One bottle treats 80 gallons, allows a 40 degree lowering of clouding point. It's much cheaper than buying #1, since #1 will cause you a decrease in mileage compared to treated #2.

You can order online and get it mailed to you. If you think you're going to use a whole lot of this, any Amsoil dealer or preferred customer can get the product at 25% off retail. If you're willing to pick it up in Columbus, I'll get it for you and you'll also save the shipping. PM me if you want to do that. I don't charge any markup on Amsoil products to any CR member. I keep limited supplies of most oils in stock at the Hangout.

http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/150575-4/Laughing-reaction-knee-slapper.gif

...and as you supposed, CR delivered. :thumbup:

Ok someone educate me. I've drive from Oklahoma to Alabama in my truck and have never seen #1 or #2 diesel. What's the difference? Every station just has tax or no tax diesel. I have seen ultra low sulphur vs biodiesel blend, but never seen them as a choice, it's one or the other depending where you are

Ok someone educate me. I've drive from Oklahoma to Alabama in my truck and have never seen #1 or #2 diesel. What's the difference? Every station just has tax or no tax diesel. I have seen ultra low sulphur vs biodiesel blend, but never seen them as a choice, it's one or the other depending where you are

#1 diesel stays liquid down to colder temps but has less energy (meaning the engine makes less power and gets worse fuel mileage).

#2 diesel gels up at sooner (meaning at warmer temps than #1 does) but has more energy (engine makes more power and gets better fuel mileage).

If you know how fractional distillation is done to turn oil into diesel, kerosene, gasoline, etc, #1 just comes off the tower a little higher/hotter than #2 and is more similar to kerosene than normal diesel. Effectively, everyone wants to run #2 diesel whenever possible but when winter comes, #1 gets blended in as necessary to keep the mix from gelling up. Some stations buy diesel from the distributor as a pre-mixed blend of #1 and #2 to suit the forecast winter temp and some stations sell both #1 and #2 to allow the driver to mix as they want (someone driving southbound might buy mostly #2 and plan on driving to a warmer place while someone driving northbound might choose to mix in more #1 to deal with the colder temps).

I did not see anything at the Meijer on Diley that indicated #1 diesel

Thank you for checking that out for me.