Porsche 944 turbo

Forrest Gump 9

Hello all

Anyone here’s familiar with the Porsche 944 turbo? My buddy just bought one and it’s have an overheating problem. He bought it for cheap, the previous owner said probably the thermostat stuck.

Car drove fine for what it is, but the temperature would get up to the red fast. No oil and coolant mix, no smoke. Just wondering how hard is it to swap out the thermostat on one of these cars? Thank you for any insights

Easy. Drain radiator. Remove expansion tank. Remove expansion to radiator hose. Then the upper radiator to pump hose, the thermostat is right there. The older the 944 the more difficult. So a turbo should be easier.

Hopefully that's it and not the water pump. Those are prone to fail and sort of a bitch.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche_944_Turbo/43-WATER-Thermostat_Replacement/43-WATER-Thermostat_Replacement.htm

944 turbo is one of the most maintenance intensive, expensive cars to maintain and keep right of just about anything around. He would have been better off with a used Ferrari instead of the "cheap" 944 turbo.

I grew up on 944's....never again for me.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche_944_Turbo/43-WATER-Thermostat_Replacement/43-WATER-Thermostat_Replacement.htm

944 turbo is one of the most maintenance intensive, expensive cars to maintain and keep right of just about anything around. He would have been better off with a used Ferrari instead of the "cheap" 944 turbo.

For real Andy? Damn, LS swap then

Ya nah. They all suck. N/a and turbo.

In that case then how much is a mint no rust, no crack dash, nice soft leather 944 roller worth?

If it's reaaaaaal clean with sport seats maybe 4-5k. With a proper motor the 951s are 10-12k to the right buyer. I bought my NA 84 as a $1500 barely -running heap. But it had an excellent interior that I parted out.

while the thermostat is out, it might not be a bad time to flow test the radiator. Sometimes sediment or corrosion builds up in the tubes and then parts of the rad get blocked off. Any radiator shop can do this in literally 2 minutes - they stick a hose with a rubber grommet in the bottom outlet and fill the radiator up and then remove the hose and watch how fast the water dumps out.

I love 951's, but like other have said unless they are LS swap, they are nightmares to maintain.

Been looking for a 944 myself for an LS swap, I am fairly confident that that is going to be my next project.

Dave has a red one in the back lot with a broken timing belt........

I love 951's, but like other have said unless they are LS swap, they are nightmares to maintain.

Been looking for a 944 myself for an LS swap, I am fairly confident that that is going to be my next project.

I've also been researching and heavily considering this for the next project.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk