1989 Chevrolet Pickup - 103k miles - 305 V8 - 2wd auto

spankis

Trying to help grandpa sell his pickup. He just turned 91 this week and retired from his job as a zoning inspector. He bought it in '97 with 40k miles on it. The original motor was replaced by GM under warranty before he bought it, but I don't have any of those details (replacement may be tied to the VIN, have not pursued that). Putting it here first hoping to avoid craigslist.

- 1989 C1500 - Cheyenne trim - all original

- 305 V8 - 2wd - automatic trans

- 103k miles

- Super sweet bug deflector

- 8' bed with camper top + drop-in plastic bedliner

- Hitch + 4-pin trailer harness

- Power Steering, Manual windows, Manual locks

- Cloth Bench Seat

- AM/FM Radio

$1500 obo

iYSzxDQl.jpg

ZGCugZBl.jpg

9V2DnUIl.jpg

hndIBY0l.jpg

Complete Imgur Album with more pics:

https://imgur.com/a/28z81

The good:

- new battery earlier this year - starts easy

- recent alternator - I replaced a year-ish ago

- good brakes

- decent tires

- clean interior

The not so good:

- A/C needs charged

- window tint peeling on driver's side window

- clearcoat peeling (nearly gone) on hood and roof

- rust in typical areas: rear fenders, door bottoms, cab corners

- rear bumper encountered something stationary many moons ago- now quite bent

- Has the common gauge cluster electrical wackiness that early c/k's enjoy

*Most gauges work but oil pressure stays pegged and one of the gauges flickers in time with the turn signal :p. (speedo, fuel, temp, voltage all seem to work fine)

I took it for a cruise into Newark this afternoon and it starts easy, runs good, shifts well, and stops well (for a drum-braked pickup). Steering is typically sloppy but no surprise given the vintage - my first thought is that the rag joint is likely original.

Overall it's relatively low-mile, rusty but trusty half ton truck. Spent it's life towing a pontoon boat in and out of storage twice a year and cruising the village for zoning enforcement. If anybody here is interested post or PM/me. My dad or I will meet you to check it out - can be seen at buckeye lake just off SR 79, not far from the boat ramp.

$1500 obo

Thanks for looking,

-Scott

Edited by spankis

It's low miles but has serious body issues. Namely, the door bottoms and cab corners rusting is a HUGE turn off for potential truck buyers in my experience.

It's also RWD vs. 4x4, auto (some prefer this, but many do not), 305 vs. an old 350, manual windows and locks, it's that wrong kind of year where it's not vintage, radio needs upgraded desperately, and electrical "wackyness".

Again, just my opinion, but those are BIG turnoffs for MOST looking at older trucks. If this were put on the FB marketplace or CL I could see it bringing $1000-1200. I'm not saying what it is or isn't worth, I would just be surprised if you're able to get more than $1200 for it. My 1998 F150 had just one small patch of surface rust, was an ext cab 4x4, had power everything, had no mechanical or electrical issues, and it sold for $1800.

Best of luck man.

Good points.

I can appreciate where you're coming from, but I suppose I was thinking body rust in super typical areas wasn't a major turn off for sub-$2k truck buyers, especially on an otherwise mechanically solid truck. It's like 95% dent free also, so patch panels would pretty well fix its body issues if somebody cared. Though it is a 305, it's a small block chevy with a th400, and the frame is solid.

With respect to electrical wackyness, maybe my wording is poor... If I said, "there are a couple gauges in the cluster that don't work", I feel like nobody would think anything of it. The oil pressure gauge sorta works, but only when the turn signal is flashing :).

All that said, new price:

$1500 - make an offer

Edited by spankis

:lol: That's a better selling point. "Oil pressure gauge doesn't work" sounds better. Haha

It's a fine truck mechanically with really low miles for its age. Believe me when I say I'm not trying to take a jab at it. Just my observation. As someone currently in the market for...something, that's the only things that have me questioning whether I want it or not.

For $1750 one would almost be in negotiating range with something like this.

You are definitely priced right for the area, I wouldn't start any lower than 1500 (as your asking price) unless you're desperate to get rid of it quick.

Agree. That's a great price point TBH. It's fair.

FBMP and CL won't pay that, but if y'all aren't in a hurry I'd stick to $1500 as much as possible.

I think that you are at a good price point but I think the truck will sell for $1100-1300.

The low will come when you are tired of dealing with people and the top will come if you sell soon.

At this pp you expect the rust and a few things not working. I'm big on seeing that maintenance is kept up but if i were looking for a beater/dd truck I'd take a look.

GLWS

mace