Looking at an 03 VW 1.8t

Mace1647545504

What car is it in?

1.8's get a lot of hate out there but I can't help but think it's just people who don't maintain them. I put 260k miles on an early, small turbo 1.8 in my '99 A4 that was still running strong when o got rid of it.

Be proactive with timing belt replacement, keep on top of oil changes (some claims of sludge issues). I had a lifter go bad at 240k that took a lobe of the intake cam with it. Junkyard cam and new lifters and it was back in the road running strong again.

never owned one personally, but took care of a couple from new to 100k and worked on a 200k example and they are very solid. coil packs, t-belt, good oil, good turbo-car driving habits, and they're pretty decent motors.

I can't speak to this car specifically but vw's in general, people often miss categorize them as having sludge when they don't.

Your basic way to check is to pull the dip stick and oil cap, next step is the valve cover or pan but not really an option for you here.

People often find a yellow, milk shake thickness, substance stuck to the oil cap and call it sludge but it is not.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by Turbs3000

I can't speak to this car specifically but vw's in general, people often miss categorize them as having sludge when they don't.

Your basic way to check is to pull the dip stick and oil cap, next step is the valve cover or pan but not really an option for you here.

People often find a yellow, milk shake thickness, substance stuck to the oil cap and call it sludge but it is not.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

This , moisture will get on the cap causing this yellowish oil that is normal. Pull the cap look as deep as you can but often more than not pulling the valve cover is the only sure way to make sure your safe

Water pumps impellars are made out of plastic and will fail.

Coil pack issued like all vag cars

Sludge

Timing maintence

PVC issues

Vac leaks and random sensors.

I'm very familiar with them and have vcds software. I wouldn't hesitate to own one just be prepared to work on them. If you need help shoot me a pm

Water pumps impellars are made out of plastic and will fail.

Coil pack issued like all vag cars

Sludge

Timing maintence

PVC issues

Vac leaks and random sensors.

I'm very familiar with them and have vcds software. I wouldn't hesitate to own one just be prepared to work on them. If you need help shoot me a pm

Thank you..to answer an earlier question it's in a golf.