WTB: Lead bullet casting equipment

unfunnyryan

Ryan,

If you want to learn to cast let me know. Depending on what calibers you want to cast it will be a long time before you “save” any money. But assuming you want to do it....

First find some smaller independent mechanics or shops to buy wheel weights. They will be mixed so plan on spending time sorting. Stay away from big names and don’t be surprised when you get told no. Get an empty five gallon bucket and keep it in your car. In my experience the shop will sell you the weights but not the buckets. Plan to just switch yours for theirs.

You will need some cast iron cookware and a heating source. Check CL for a propane camping stove. Walmart will have cast iron skillets and pots. You will need some ladles and slotted spoons Get a good pair of dyke pliers to bite the weights and only melt the lead. Harbor Freight has cheap respirators and a set of welding gloves. You will want to do two steps. Weights to ingots. Then ingots to boolits.

Plan on going to Fin Feather and Fur in Ashland. It’s about an hour north but they have the best selection of casting molds, lead pots etc. If you want to powder coat the boolits afterwards, check CL for a cheap toaster oven. HF also has powder coat and I’ve had good luck with red. There’s lots more but that’s part of your shopping list. Let me know if you want help.

Ryan,

If you want to learn to cast let me know. Depending on what calibers you want to cast it will be a long time before you “save” any money. But assuming you want to do it....

First find some smaller independent mechanics or shops to buy wheel weights. They will be mixed so plan on spending time sorting. Stay away from big names and don’t be surprised when you get told no. Get an empty five gallon bucket and keep it in your car. In my experience the shop will sell you the weights but not the buckets. Plan to just switch yours for theirs.

You will need some cast iron cookware and a heating source. Check CL for a propane camping stove. Walmart will have cast iron skillets and pots. You will need some ladles and slotted spoons Get a good pair of dyke pliers to bite the weights and only melt the lead. Harbor Freight has cheap respirators and a set of welding gloves. You will want to do two steps. Weights to ingots. Then ingots to boolits.

Plan on going to Fin Feather and Fur in Ashland. It’s about an hour north but they have the best selection of casting molds, lead pots etc. If you want to powder coat the boolits afterwards, check CL for a cheap toaster oven. HF also has powder coat and I’ve had good luck with red. There’s lots more but that’s part of your shopping list. Let me know if you want help.

I'm not in it to save money. Reloading has cost me a LOT more money, but I've learned a lot and shot a lot more, and have had more fun :)

Going to cast pistol calibers mostly. Right now I'm firing a ton of 9mm, but will probably cast the whole range eventually... 9, 38/357, 40, 45...

I'm not in it to save money. Reloading has cost me a LOT more money, but I've learned a lot and shot a lot more, and have had more fun :)

Going to cast pistol calibers mostly. Right now I'm firing a ton of 9mm, but will probably cast the whole range eventually... 9, 38/357, 40, 45...

I do all of those but 40. I’ll let you know the next time I have a casting day. The hotter the weather the better. Since you need heat, a hotter day makes casting and melting easier. I’ll set up my pots and molds and you’re Welcome to try your hand as casting.