Teach me ak

Radio Flyer1647545514

I loved my Arsenal SLR-95. Milled receiver, shot great, never a single jam. It was a model sold during the assault weapons ban back in the 90s, so it was worth a little less than others because of the way the stock attached. I would buy one again in a heartbeat for a good price. Sold mine to Boosted_ACE on here to fund my Ruger Precision Rifle.

There are a bunch of beginner AK videos on YouTube. I think Iraqveteran8888 has a good one. From what I remember the main concern is if the receiver is stamped or milled with the preferred being milled. The most common caliber is 7.62x39 but there is also 5.45x39 and 223. Right now 7.62x39 seems pretty easy to find and is about the same price as cheap 223/556. The 7.62x39 has similar ballistics to the 30-30 but usually the cases are steel so some ranges won’t let you shoot it and it’s not easily reloadable.

I think Century sells a lot of basic models for the $500 to $600. They are fine for most folks just looking to plink. After that you can spend as much as you want on accessories or upgrades. Or figure out a set goal and build one and price individual components. Typical magazines are 30 rounds but they make bigger and smaller ones too. The military surplus metal ones seem to do better than a lot of the cheap plastic ones. Aim Surplus is a good source for those. Good luck.

Why AK and not AR is the question I'd start with. I'm no AK expert, but I had to ask myself that question, after being on the AR for so long and knowing it will do all I need in a 50-400m engagement, with close quarter functionality. I'm not saying the AK can't, I'm saying I had to justify using a different platform and I think that is worth thinking through before buying. Will it just be a range gun, or do you plan to do engagement training with it?

That said, I fucking love my AK. It literally gives me a commie boner every time I shoot it. I feel like I'm breaking the law and I dare you to catch me. It is one of the first guns I grab when I have people over to shoot, because many people have not shot them. Racking the bolt and letting it go, is 75% of the experience. No less than three good friends now have AK's after shooting mine. There are dozens of AK companies out there now. Hell, Palmeto state armory sells one for $4XX from time to time. What's you budget is a factor, but you don't have to spend a lot to get a good rifle. I was lucky and got a Siaga for $350 and dropped about $300 into getting it the way I wanted. I think engineering has progressed in today's world to where a reputable company will make a good gun that will shoot. How hard you plan to run the gun would determine what company, like Arsenal and Siaga you go with. I would say those two come to mind for a combat ready gun. I have not fired Century Arms, but I have not looked at them past when they were thought of as a low end company ten years ago. DPMS is the same way to me though, they have a high end line and a low end.

Ammo was a big push for me to go AK too. I was buy a lot of 5.56 and at $300ish a case, I was able to get 7.62x39 for $205 a case. Now, that price seems to have gone up to about $250 a case. Not bad, but it is on the up swing. The world will never run out of AK ammo. NEVER. So, my buying one was during the ammo shortage in the 2013-15. That influenced me a little at that time.

I miss having the time to do writes. To get back to your question, I can't say which ones to avoid based on experience, I'd contact places that have AK training, like TDI I believe, and see what they have run into with what companies.