Better 529 Plans?

carl1647545492

We set up a College Advantage,Ohios 529 Vanguard aggressive 529 plan about 12 years ago for the kidlets and apart from the tax breaks the actual returns have been awful,like a few thousand dollars and has not even doubled yet.

As it turns out its a Vanguard Aggressive is a self managed fund and we have not been "managing" so much for advice... it looks like you need to research and tell them what you want like a US stock small cap.

Anyways cliffs are I want something that is set and forget with good returns in the next 6 to 8 years.

Thanks.

Not likely... Ohio's 529 has been consistently rated one of the best, and last year (2018) was pretty much a lost year in terms of returns (but at least it wasn't negative). Frustrating yes, but unless you're invested solely in purely defensive/preservation stuff like CDs or money markets, there's not a whole lot you can do to juice your returns in the current climate.

We set up a College Advantage,Ohios 529 Vanguard aggressive 529 plan about 12 years ago for the kidlets and apart from the tax breaks the actual returns have been awful,like a few thousand dollars and has not even doubled yet.

As it turns out its a Vanguard Aggressive is a self managed fund and we have not been "managing" so much for advice... it looks like you need to research and tell them what you want like a US stock small cap.

Anyways cliffs are I want something that is set and forget with good returns in the next 6 to 8 years.

Thanks.

If you need a good financial advisor, PM me for info. :)

-Marc

Ours is 3 years old and looks to have 'made' 10%. Not too bad right?

It also appears to have done something 5/2018: "Fund Closure Exchange Out - Advantage Age-Based Portfolio: Age 0-5"....and now just says "2032 FUND". Switched it all up I suppose. Also changed the "units"....went from 189 to 475...not sure what that even means.

Ours is 3 years old and looks to have 'made' 10%. Not too bad right?

It also appears to have done something 5/2018: "Fund Closure Exchange Out - Advantage Age-Based Portfolio: Age 0-5"....and now just says "2032 FUND". Switched it all up I suppose. Also changed the "units"....went from 189 to 475...not sure what that even means.

they closed out the old funds for new ones with a lower expense ratio and a more certain time frame. The number of units went up because the new fund price is lower.

Fuck their college. Skilled trades is where it’s at. Spend the money on yourself.

This

I feel so bad for your kids by you shoving them into college.

They don't have any concept of the amount of money they are going into debt, let alone how long it takes to pay back, LET ALONE do they know (usually) WTF they wanna do with their lives.

But just keep contributing to the biggest bubble in America's history by all means, I'll take my sore back and retirement at 55 :)

I’m all for the skilled trade push, but that does not mean college has no value. It’s not like his kids are 16+ and he’s just now looking to pay for them saying they want to go to school. With mom and dad both having a college education, there is a higher chance the kids will go to college too. Given that, the man’s been trying to maximize the funds in the right place for that opertunity to be there. The man imigrated to the US and is damn near the text book example of what is hoped for from someone moving here. He has a very nice house and it’s paid for. I’m guessing there are less then ten people on this site that can say that. Telling someone you feel sorry for their kids because the parent is making sure they have things in place for them to persue the field of interest, even college, sounds like you would just push your kid into a trade because you don’t want them to go to school. Then your kid becomes the one with the student loans and is exactly the problem you hate.

This

They don't have any concept of the amount of money they are going into debt, let alone how long it takes to pay back, LET ALONE do they know (usually) WTF they wanna do with their lives.

But just keep contributing to the biggest bubble in America's history by all means, I'll take my sore back and retirement at 55 :)

No sucking on the tit here they will get a assist,if they do not tow the line can work their way thru on their own.....or go to boot...inside joke

I’m all for the skilled trade push, but that does not mean college has no value. It’s not like his kids are 16+ and he’s just now looking to pay for them saying they want to go to school. With mom and dad both having a college education, there is a higher chance the kids will go to college too. Given that, the man’s been trying to maximize the funds in the right place for that opertunity to be there. The man imigrated to the US and is damn near the text book example of what is hoped for from someone moving here. He has a very nice house and it’s paid for. I’m guessing there are less then ten people on this site that can say that. Telling someone you feel sorry for their kids because the parent is making sure they have things in place for them to persue the field of interest, even college, sounds like you would just push your kid into a trade because you don’t want them to go to school. Then your kid becomes the one with the student loans and is exactly the problem you hate.

Appreciate it Joe

Nice comments. Maybe learn wtf you are talking about next time. 529s are not just for 4 year college.

Your 529 account can cover qualified costs at community colleges, technical, art or music schools, or vocational schools.

This

I really believe you are the biggest idiot on this site.

A majority of plan owners do it with the intent to send their kids to a traditional 4 year college though...

Most, like myself, do it with the intent of their children using it for further education. Kids are more likely to do some type of post secondary education if they have any type of financial support. A 529 is not set up or intended to exclusively push kids into a 4 year college.