DisplayPort monitor won't sleep. Ideas?

87GT

I recently built another gaming PC from scratch and this has happened since I turned it on for the first time. Everything is brand new except a few data hard drives and the monitors. My setup is an nvidia geforce gtx 1660 ti to two monitors, #1 is DisplayPort 144hz, #2 is HDMI. The HDMI connection will sleep when I have windows power management set to sleep monitors. The DisplayPort goes to sleep, blue led goes orange, monitor says no signal, a few moments later the backlight comes on but the screen is black. I did not have this issue on my previous machine using a geforce gtx 760 and also 1050.

Seems to be a known issue with Nvidia and windows 10 creation update since last year according to https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1003032/geforce-drivers/monitor-wont-sleep-windows-10-creators-update/27/

Things I have tried

-Set screen saver to none

-Set windows power management to turn off display after 1 minute

-Uninstalled Nvidia geforce experience

-Drank a lot of beer

-Force closed steam and set to never auto load on startup

-Remove microsoft USB xbox 360 wireless controller dongle when not in use

-Remove USB headset/mic when not in use

-Rebooted too many times

-Uninstall/Reinstall display driver from nvidia and also windows update

-Uninstall ASUStek aura app for my RGB LED control

-Prayed to God for assistance but he didn't answer

-Remove USB mouse when not in use

-Tried all 3 DisplayPort ports on my video card

-Used HDMI to monitor 1 (this fixes issue but I can't use 144hz refresh rate so deal breaker)

-Shot my gun at things

-Clicking start, power, sleep computer fixes issue but I don't want to do this every day

-Did one sick burnout in front of my house

Anyone else have this issue and find out a workaround other than manually turning off monitor? This is 2019 I don't think we should turn off monitors with a button like a savage person. I thought this was PC Master Race?

Is there an Nsync or Freesync or whatever setting in the monitor or graphics driver? Turning that off might help.

The monitor has adaptive sync. I disabled that in the menu and it seem to work so far. Rebooted just to be sure and it is sleeping like it should. Hopefully this sticks but we will see.