AR build information/advice

Richard Cranium

I've run through some searches, but not found quite the information I'm looking for. I am loving my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'm interested in learning more and broadening my experience base. I've had a bug in the back of my head for a while now for an AR in .224 Valkyrie. I consider myself fairly mechanically competent, so the idea of building a custom rifle appeals to me. I would probably build a standard AR first for the experience.

Goals (since someone will ask) are to have a couple fun guns. Standard AR for plinking pop cans from 50 - 100 yards. And a precision AR in .224 that will blow up golf balls at 100 yards and periodically stretch out to 1000 yards.

To be honest the AR seems like the small block chevy of the rifle world these days. It's more than a little overwhelming looking at all the options available for uppers, lowers, parts kits, barrels, stocks, hand guards, etc... Since one of my goals is learning, I'm somewhat attracted to the idea of getting a set of jigs and a few 80% lowers and machining them myself. I believe I have all the tooling in my shop to do them myself. Since it's just a block of billet aluminum and not a gun there is no FFL to worry about. Does anyone here have any experience with the 80% lowers?

Budgets for the two rifles would be $600ish for the standard AR. And $1500ish for the .224 version (not including glass)

Are there specific websites I should be looking at for design and build information? I'm open to any and all constructive information people are willing to share.

Assuming I move forward on this I'll probably be looking at a progressive reloading press as well for .223 and 9mm. I already hand load my 6.5 ammo. I would definitely hand load the .224 rounds.

You could/should probably be closer to $400-$500 for your budget AR or at least you can be! I've seen prebuilts for around $400 so if you shop around you can make one for dirt cheap for sure.

I don't have any actual build experience from scratch so I'll let those guys chime in. But definitely don't skimp on the mount/optic and trigger if you are looking for some serious accuracy.

Make sure you research, in depth, what you want for each rifle. I have build a budget AR with the cheapest parts for a friend and it ran him $650 without sights or optics. Now, I didn't go looking at the all over the internet for parts since I preferred to pick parts of value that I personally know work. Yes, you can build shit AR's for that money but please do your homework. A GOOD barrel is $175 by itself. You can get them on sale, blem sale (outside coatings messed up) and odd sizes discontinued for $150.

Now, Palmetto State has budget minded Uppers for a few hundred, a lower (stripped) will cost $85-$100, lpk is $50.00-$75.00 and Stock parts roughly $150.00. That setup will get you a shooting rifle.

The 224 is a little harder. The round has had some inconsistencies lately with load development problems. There are a dozen companies making uppers for them but you will want to spend the money for a Craddock if you want quality, consistency and longevity. You will want to see which ammo you can find first since I haven't seen any local, and he will need those bullet weights when building/picking your Twist for your barrel. You can go 1:6.7 to be safe which will allow you toss those 90's with ease (these are being stocked more at stores). If you are going to start hand loading then you can truly get 224 dialed in. Please don't think buying a $500.00 224 upper will make it hit that golf ball at 100 yds every time. 224 will make you work for it.

If you want to PM me I can answer any questions you have.

Good luck and enjoy!

You could/should probably be closer to $400-$500 for your budget AR or at least you can be! I've seen prebuilts for around $400 so if you shop around you can make one for dirt cheap for sure.

I don't have any actual build experience from scratch so I'll let those guys chime in. But definitely don't skimp on the mount/optic and trigger if you are looking for some serious accuracy.

I know I can always go cheaper. It seems like the mid grade ARs for sale are in that price range, so I assumed a quality budget build would be similar. I prefer to buy once cry once, so I tend to buy a little better than I need.

Make sure you research, in depth, what you want for each rifle. I have build a budget AR with the cheapest parts for a friend and it ran him $650 without sights or optics. Now, I didn't go looking at the all over the internet for parts since I preferred to pick parts of value that I personally know work. Yes, you can build shit AR's for that money but please do your homework. A GOOD barrel is $175 by itself. You can get them on sale, blem sale (outside coatings messed up) and odd sizes discontinued for $150.

Now, Palmetto State has budget minded Uppers for a few hundred, a lower (stripped) will cost $85-$100, lpk is $50.00-$75.00 and Stock parts roughly $150.00. That setup will get you a shooting rifle.

The 224 is a little harder. The round has had some inconsistencies lately with load development problems. There are a dozen companies making uppers for them but you will want to spend the money for a Craddock if you want quality, consistency and longevity. You will want to see which ammo you can find first since I haven't seen any local, and he will need those bullet weights when building/picking your Twist for your barrel. You can go 1:6.7 to be safe which will allow you toss those 90's with ease (these are being stocked more at stores). If you are going to start hand loading then you can truly get 224 dialed in. Please don't think buying a $500.00 224 upper will make it hit that golf ball at 100 yds every time. 224 will make you work for it.

If you want to PM me I can answer any questions you have.

Good luck and enjoy!

Good info, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I will absolutely be hand loading the .224s on a single stage press just like I do for my 6.5 CMs. I would probably buy factory rounds to shoot and then collect and recycle the brass. Bullet weight will probably be based on what is selling the most and places are keeping in stock. I shoot 140 and 147 in the CM. 147s are when I am pushing way out. 140s are when I am 100 to 200 yards. I would probably just do a single load for the .224. Thanks!