CPU Water cooling recommendations

87GT

I run BOINC software for a few grid computing tasks. Currently I am using the stock AMD wraith cooler on a Ryzen 5 2600. If I run BOINC at 100% CPU processing time I hit around 80C consistently. That is too warm for my opinion but not enough to lockup or reboot. I throttled down BOINC to only take up half of my CPU threads and only run 25% of the time and I hit around 60C average.

CR peeps who are into water cooling what is a good CPU setup you recommend? I have a nice sized spot on the top of my case to mount an inter-cooler with 2 120mm fans blowing out. If I get at least 2 fans I will have positive air pressure. My goal is to be around 60-65C on full 100% load.

Basically any of the Corsair Hydro products would get you there, or any decent All In One water cooler.

Also since the 3000 series just came out, now is a good time to upgrade your CPU for not much money either. The 3000 series CPU's consume less power and should run cooler under load. Since you have a Ryzen 5 2600 already, all you should need is a BIOS update. Even a Ryzen 7 2700 is only $170 right now.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/505630/ryzen-7-2700-32ghz-8-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

Apparently according to AMD, the Ryzen 5 2600's max temp is 95c, but I did see that around 80c is when it starts to throttle.

Is it showing signs that its throttling under load? There is nothing wrong necessarily with letting it run hot as long as it is not throttling.

Annotation+2018-11-16+211746.jpg

No throttling is happening at 80C but still I just don't feel comfortable running that hot for days/weeks at a time. I am paranoid since it is a newer build. I will think about the CPU upgrade but I am already trying to sell an even older Ryzen lol.

water cooling is great until your pump dies and your rig is dead until you replace it. Been through a couple corsair water coolers, just don't seem to last more than a few years.

shitty air coolers seem to last forever, just are huge, and noisy, and not great

water cooling is great until your pump dies and your rig is dead until you replace it. Been through a couple corsair water coolers, just don't seem to last more than a few years.

shitty air coolers seem to last forever, just are huge, and noisy, and not great

I mean if its a custom loop or AIO you should just slap a stock air cooler on it and be on your way. Unless you have rigid tubing then its not as easy. You should always have a air cooler for testing anyway.

Ive been running on the same vario D5 pump for 10+ years and I have no concerns about it running more.

To tag onto this, do some of the newer boards have protection if water flow or temps get weird? I just built a Zen 2 pc using a X570 asus prime and it has a water pump header which was surprising to me. Currently using the oem AMD cooler.

yup Id just do a basic AIO that will fit in your case with some good fans in a push / pull setup and call it good.

I mean if its a custom loop or AIO you should just slap a stock air cooler on it and be on your way. Unless you have rigid tubing then its not as easy.

So are you not recommending something like a CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i AIO? If not what type of forced air heatsink do you recommend? I want something that cools more than the stock AMD Wraith setup.

There is nothing wrong with the H115i and it will work well. IMO I just think having 4 fans are better in a push/ pull rather than a push like those are. I usually do super thick radiators which need the extra help and the AIO coolers usually low fin density so they can get away with only having two fans.

Depending on what you are wanting to spend for an air cooled setup you could go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO its at the lower end of the spectrum but works really well for the money. If you don't mind paying more go with the Noctua NH-D15. Its way quieter and higher performance but its a large unit so it will take up more space.

either way you go will cool way better than the stock cooler. The Wraith setup while it doesn't do a bad job can be improved drastically.

Also do yourself a favor and pick up some thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal grease and use that rather than what comes with the pre installed on any of the ones that have it.

I have a H60 that I have been using for 6 years now only issue I had was evaporation and once I took the block apart and topped it back off it was fine. You just have bad luck with PC parts.

Cooler master has a dual fan AIO for $70 at Microcenter.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/483748/masterliquid-ml240l-240mm-rgb-water-cooling-kit

To tag onto this, do some of the newer boards have protection if water flow or temps get weird? I just built a Zen 2 pc using a X570 asus prime and it has a water pump header which was surprising to me. Currently using the oem AMD cooler.

aside from throttling speeds there is no other real protection.