Kryptonite Disc Lock won't unlock!

progrmr

Being extra safe with my new bike I have been using a kryptonite disc lock even when its locked up in the garage.

So this morning I got out, put my key in the lock, and it won't open. I try the 2nd key - again it doesn't open. The locking mechanism is supposed to pop out when you turn the key but its just plain not opening.

I can't get the freakin' thing off my bike. I have 2 keys neither of which work, the lock has maybe been used 10 times in the last year and a half. I'm about to have a stroke I am so pissed!

Has anyone ever deal w/ this? I suppose I could get a cutting wheel for my dremel and try cutting through the bottom of the "U". Not really sure what else to try.

Any ideas?? Oh BTW - I will NEVER put another kryptonite product on my bike and I don't recommend anyone else does either!!

I did put some WD-40 on it, but it didn't seem to help. The thing has been working fine for the last few days - its almost like the spring mechanism either didn't set right or is broken.

On the phone with kryptonite customer service at the moment - not sure there is anything they can do but I guess its worth a try.

Well that was pretty much a wasted phone call. Said that the discs inside the lock must be out of alignment, take a small screwdriver and try to line them back up to get it unlock. Either that or cut it off and send it in for replacement.

Something to try I guess...sucks!

yeah, just get some large cable cutters.

Actually this is another opportunity for the dremel to demonstrate that it is the best tool ever invented :) I bet I have it off in 5 minutes - and I'll get a freebie from Kryptonite because they said if I sent it in they'd replace it.

Of course, I don't think I'll ever put one on again but they will at least have to replace it :)

You got that right - worked on the bike all weekend to get it straight, installed new front turn signals, replaced turn signal bulbs in the rear (had to remove the rear fairing to get to the rusted/stripped out screws LOL, then a trip to IP for new ones), took the slack out of the chain and cleaned/waxed the chain which was in pretty rough shape...I was ready this morning...I about blew a gasket haha!

I've got a Kryptonite cable lock that the same thing happens to. I just use a graphite pencil to color in the blade of the key, and then try to unlcok. The graphite helps the tumblers, almost like a lubricant. Put the key in a few times, turn, take it out, and start over. Ihave never had my cable lock not come off. Just keep tryin.

The first time I had it happen I just walked away from the lock, went back 20 minutes later, and it worked fine. Maybe I was the problem, who knows.