Progressive reloading

Richard Cranium

I've been single stage reloading for a couple years now. Mainly 6.5 Creedmoor, and a little 9mm. I'm wanting to shoot more this summer, and single stage reloading 9mm bores me to death. I was also thinking about picking up an AR, so would be reloading for that as well. Since both of those are much higher volume rounds than the 6.5 I was thinking about picking up a progressive setup. I know I'll never save as much as I spend on reloading, but I think over time it will be a decent investment.

That being said, I'm curious what people think that have used progressive presses. What advice do you have? What brand or components are must have? I know Dillon is the gold standard. I love my RCBS setup I bought here on CR.

For anyone asking about the math. I am assuming I will save roughly $.10 per round reloading 9mm using fired brass. So a $1500 press set up (Dillon 750xl) would roughly break even at 15,000 rounds. That's based on todays costs, who knows what the future holds.

I'm not sure what direction I'll go, thought this might spark some interesting conversation though.

Most of the complaints I see are within the setup of the press no matter the brand. After you work out the kinks, they usually flow well.

I’ve been debating on going progressive myself and the only caution I see over and over is to watch closely and be sure there is a powder drop. That’s the biggest miss on a progressive, people go into robot mode and miss a powder drop for a squib.

I am using the hornady ap press. I use it for 9 and 45. It takes a lot of tinkering to get it to run smoothly. Mine is probably about 95% there but it I still have to help it index to the next station sometimes.

Overall it t is a lot faster than single stage but you have to upgrade from the basic ap press if you want to maximize it. Each primer tube holds about 120 SPP so you will need to add primers that often. Without a case feeder or bullet feeder, I have a small bucket I pull from and that has to be refilled. I also still measure about 1 in 10 charges so that slows you down too.

The biggest irritation is forgetting to push the ram forward to seat the new primer. I probably do that at least 1 or 2 in a hundred. So I set everything nose down and inspect before I put them in boxes. Hope that helps.

TL:DR Progressive are good but take time to get right and are not automatically perfect.

I run a Dillon XL650 and have always had good luck with it. As you mentioned, all the time is in the setup. However, once it's up and running, it runs great. In fact, the faster you run it, the smoother it runs.

I have tool heads for every caliber I run so caliber changes are relatively quick. I also have a powder alarm so I don't have to slow down as much to verify powder drops. A case feeder, bullet feeder, extra primer tubes, and a Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime will save you a ton of time as well.

Back when I shot USPSA and bought 9mm components in bulk, I could load a round for around $0.11 and I could make the powderpuff rounds I was looking for that you can't really buy.

Most of the complaints I see are within the setup of the press no matter the brand. After you work out the kinks, they usually flow well.

I’ve been debating on going progressive myself and the only caution I see over and over is to watch closely and be sure there is a powder drop. That’s the biggest miss on a progressive, people go into robot mode and miss a powder drop for a squib.

There are some options that will give you a visual indicator that powder was thrown. It takes up a station though. If you are not running a bullet feeder you can fit it at that station. It's simply a rod that gets pushed up with the case. Based on how far it rises up you can tell if the case is empty or not.

I run a Dillon XL650 and have always had good luck with it. As you mentioned, all the time is in the setup. However, once it's up and running, it runs great. In fact, the faster you run it, the smoother it runs.

I have tool heads for every caliber I run so caliber changes are relatively quick. I also have a powder alarm so I don't have to slow down as much to verify powder drops. A case feeder, bullet feeder, extra primer tubes, and a Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime will save you a ton of time as well.

Back when I shot USPSA and bought 9mm components in bulk, I could load a round for around $0.11 and I could make the powderpuff rounds I was looking for that you can't really buy.

Where are you getting your Dillon equipment from? Is there any reason to buy straight from them vs. through a dealer?

After shooting today I'm reminded how much I was interested in a 9mm AR Carbine. If I do that I'll be chewing through 9mm way faster than I can keep up single stage.

There are some options that will give you a visual indicator that powder was thrown. It takes up a station though. If you are not running a bullet feeder you can fit it at that station. It's simply a rod that gets pushed up with the case. Based on how far it rises up you can tell if the case is empty or not.

Where are you getting your Dillon equipment from? Is there any reason to buy straight from them vs. through a dealer?

After shooting today I'm reminded how much I was interested in a 9mm AR Carbine. If I do that I'll be chewing through 9mm way faster than I can keep up single stage.

I got most of my Dillon stuff probably 10 years ago at Valley outdoors South of Chillicothe. They've since closed.

I know there are options out there for powder charge indicating but I’m not to the place where I would really benefit from it. I don’t shoot nearly enough to justify the purchase so single stage is fine for now. I just like being able to make rounds when the tards drive up the price.

I was using a Dillon 550 when I was loading for 9mm for USPSA. It worked great but after some time I wish I had invested in the 650 for the extra speed.

For checking powder drops I've read people will mount a small mirror to see into that station. I don't feel I needed it on the 550, it was something I would check before I rotated.

I have some extra 223 dies and a few other small items I'd sell pretty cheap if you're interested, I really just want to get it out of my old bench.

Enos was the place to buy when I purchased but I don't think he's selling them anymore. I think bobcat armory or bobcat steel or something like that is a good place to look when b purchasing. He has trade in units for sale all the time as well as new stock.

As mentioned, the FA primer tool is great, extra primer tubes, multiple toolhead set ups.

Inline fabrication has some cool stuff to look at as well for accessory add one.

I have purchased a lot of my reloading stuff from Fin Feather and Fur. They have a big store in Ashland about 70 miles north off I-71 at exit 186. The entire basement is reloading stuff. Their prices are also better than any place I have seen in Columbus.

I have purchased a lot of my reloading stuff from Fin Feather and Fur. They have a big store in Ashland about 70 miles north off I-71 at exit 186. The entire basement is reloading stuff. Their prices are also better than any place I have seen in Columbus.

I used to live about 15 mins from the Boardman Fin location. I would go there before anywhere else for supplies. Now it's a bit more of a drive and I'm about equidistant from the Canton or Boardman locations. Luckily I work over near Toledo so the hotel I usually pick is a walk away from their Rossford location. I try to pop in and stock up while on the road.

If anyone hasn't been there yet, it's worth a trip. (Maybe when all this dies down)

I have some extra 223 dies and a few other small items I'd sell pretty cheap if you're interested, I really just want to get it out of my old bench.

I decided on the Dillon xl750. Bought it with the case feeder and a set of 9mm dies. I'd be interested in any extras you have around that will fit this monster, particularly the .223 dies for when I pick up an AR.

I have over 10k small pistol primers and 4lbs of Vihtavuori N320. I used it for light recoil 147gr 9mm. Super clean powder. Let me know if you’re interested.

I'm pretty well stocked up on powder and primers. Have never heard of that powder, and I'm a little hesitant to more away from Accurate 7 that I've been using. What brand are the primers?

I have over 10k small pistol primers and 4lbs of Vihtavuori N320. I used it for light recoil 147gr 9mm. Super clean powder. Let me know if you’re interested.

What brand of SPP and how much per 1,000? I could use some but haven’t wanted to go buy any for a while. Between the panic buyers and lockdowns, it wasn’t worth going out.