Self managed Roth-IRA

Gergwheel1647545492

Finally got around to funding and putting money into a Roth-IRA. Who else does this and what funds are you putting your money in with this? I mainly look at expense ratios and returns for the last year. What are other things I should be looking at? so far I've put money into SCHX, and SCHG. Been looking at others to get into, VIO? VOO? what does CR recommend?

Finally got around to funding and putting money into a Roth-IRA. Who else does this and what funds are you putting your money in with this? I mainly look at expense ratios and returns for the last year. What are other things I should be looking at? so far I've put money into SCHX, and SCHG. Been looking at others to get into, VIO? VOO? what does CR recommend?
What program are you using? We have one with our financial advisor, but I'd like to play with my own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I don't know much about long positions. I've been going to add some though. I was just looking at FDLSX as something that might be recovering after covid. I can't recommend it at this point yet as I haven't done any research beyond a quick look.

What program are you using? We have one with our financial advisor, but I'd like to play with my own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Opened an account with TD Ameritrade to open the Roth-IRA and funded 2020 with my cap of 6k, now I will just add to it monthly to get my yearly limits.

Look for funds with a long 10+ year record. Invest in growth, growth and income, tech and international. The fees are important but look at the funds that have outperformed the S&P. All depends on your risk. You can also open a traditional IRA in addition to your Roth. Plus you can always convert your traditional to a Roth later. You just have to pay the taxes. Good luck.

A self managed retirement fund can invest in real estate. Read up, follow the rules, and talk to Brad on here (Zx2guy or something) about investing. You can't touch real estate returns for investing.

Does anyone use an offshore account? My brain doesn't work right sometimes and I just realized over the weekend while watching a guy do some trading that these days you can get around the 25K PDT rule by using an offshore account. I don't know why I never put it all together, I guess I was always thinking I'd have to be more serious about it, but LOL I'm self employed now and have the time to do pretty much anything I want.

From what I can find there's some offshore trading companies based out of the Bahamas, and they don't allow US IP addresses or Bahamas bank accounts so I'd probably have to do the thing I was thinking about years ago and set up a foreign bank account and then VPN to spoof IP and link account to offshore trading platform. I wonder how legal that is because I'd prefer not to go to jail just yet, on my tiny amounts.

Look for funds with a long 10+ year record. Invest in growth, growth and income, tech and international. The fees are important but look at the funds that have outperformed the S&P. All depends on your risk. You can also open a traditional IRA in addition to your Roth. Plus you can always convert your traditional to a Roth later. You just have to pay the taxes. Good luck.

Thats a pretty good safe set up. I really should be saving in long term stuff, but money is always stretched to thin, hoping to change that now that I've done a bunch of work on my credit, budgeting, etc.

Investing is a highly personalized decision, and what one person does, another may not be comfortable or want to do.

That being said, you are far ahead of the game for the simple reason that you actually STARTED it and thinking about it and educating yourself. And starting with ROTH is super good, esp if you have a while to go before retiring. Props to you.

I evaluate my portfolio 2x a year but generally only move funds every few years if one starts to decline over a couple quarters but I keep an eye on it and don't recommend set it and forget it mentality. I don't look at expense ratios too much unless I need a tie breaker between two funds that seem almost identical. I typically look at 1 year, 3 year and 5 year returns, with a focus on the 3-5 range. If you aren't going to actively manage your portfolio, then looking at longer term (5 to 10 year) is generally wise.

I also stick to mutual funds as well, and generally in a growth fund (AGTHX for past couple years which has performed very well) as I have 20 years to go before 60. I am personally comfortable not being spread into 2-3 different categories but that's because I keep an eye on it in general through the year. If I didn't do that, totally would diversify further.

I am not a investing professional by any means but I have well educated myself on retirement investing over the past ten years and can point you in the direction of some good resources to continue to teaching yourself if you want, just drop me a message.

VTI

VOO

IVV

VB

VBR

SPY

Try and just follow the SP500 long term.

I have also been very impressed with Titan and Fundrise for investing. I dont have much in either (few grand) but returns are pretty nice! Im just adding money to those little by little.

A self managed retirement fund can invest in real estate. Read up, follow the rules, and talk to Brad on here (Zx2guy or something) about investing. You can't touch real estate returns for investing.

Are you talking about REIT funds? I've thought about some of those but the housing market has to crash soon right?

Investing is a highly personalized decision, and what one person does, another may not be comfortable or want to do.

That being said, you are far ahead of the game for the simple reason that you actually STARTED it and thinking about it and educating yourself. And starting with ROTH is super good, esp if you have a while to go before retiring. Props to you.

I evaluate my portfolio 2x a year but generally only move funds every few years if one starts to decline over a couple quarters but I keep an eye on it and don't recommend set it and forget it mentality. I don't look at expense ratios too much unless I need a tie breaker between two funds that seem almost identical. I typically look at 1 year, 3 year and 5 year returns, with a focus on the 3-5 range. If you aren't going to actively manage your portfolio, then looking at longer term (5 to 10 year) is generally wise.

I also stick to mutual funds as well, and generally in a growth fund (AGTHX for past couple years which has performed very well) as I have 20 years to go before 60. I am personally comfortable not being spread into 2-3 different categories but that's because I keep an eye on it in general through the year. If I didn't do that, totally would diversify further.

I am not a investing professional by any means but I have well educated myself on retirement investing over the past ten years and can point you in the direction of some good resources to continue to teaching yourself if you want, just drop me a message.

Thanks for all the info! I've been checking mine every other day so far and I really like what I'm seeing some far :D

If you want to set and forget, find some nice Vanguards and ETF's.

Cathie Wood is all the rage atm.

ARKK

ARKG

ARKS

She has a lot of "disruption funds" you can see her performance and the volume of flows into the funds, its worth potentially a gamble on some of them, she also publishes models, thesis's ect which is nice to help decisions. There is some risk due to her consolidation into small cap companies being up to 10% or more of many holdings in the companies, IE systemic risk to weigh.

Right now, ride the wave and volume of printing. Maybe some peace of mind, https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/12/what-if-you-only-invested-at-market-peaks/

IMO also do a little stock picking. Pick winners, big ones. Google Mircosoft Netflix Disney Apple, they likely will return outpaced yields to you.

REITs are interesting, homebuying is an all time high, commercial not some much. Be careful on several of these IMO. I am bearish on the holdings and lease rates that drive leveraged FCF returns to their holders.

Energy and financals are still laggards on the recovery side, XOM will have 15-20% upside this year imo on top of a 7% balance sheet backed dividend they will pay out. Some will argue that companies paying dividends are not utilizing their capital ccorrectly to grow and offer better yielding reutrns longer term then a dividend does. I hold XOM bought a fair position back in november, its been a nice return recently.

Also I like to allocated 10% for moon shoot bets, no harm if you hit 1 for 10x vs 9 at zero.

Good luck, and like others taking it into your own hands isnt bad. Reasonable approaches work fairly. Finally remember the rule of 72. Set a target for your IRA say 8-10% or whatever based on your risk profile. As such take that target return and divide it, EG: 15% / 72 = 4.8, the number of years it takes you to double your money. So that 6k at a 15% IRR will be about 100k after 20 years (No contributions) NOW 15% is likely high but you can see how that rule works :)

This guy

Is pretty much how I trade, I just noticed him as I've been wanting to get back into it. He makes those huge gains because he uses offshore accounts which allow for very high (6x) leverage. I've spent a few of my slow days over the past months watching the markets and using a test account, but I feel lost, like returning to a video game I gave up years ago. Sucks because I've finally clawed my way out of financial ruin, seem to be getting better health wise, and since I'm running a small company now I've got the time and some money to give it a shot.