Dead Man Walking - Another (potential) victim of the economy

Disclaimer

So I'm bored tonight, and a little stressed/paranoid so I thought I'd get some ORDN love and opinions on this - maybe enhance the ol' social network a little bit.

We had our big Town Hall meeting today... after what seemed like an agonizing long presentation on the state of the industry, and the state of the economy, and how we're no where near our initial forecast or even the revised forecast, on and on and on - everyone waiting to hear if the rumor mill was true or not - they finally revealed the actions that were being taken - on top of the previous actions (pay reduction, retirement crap, etc) they took in February:

1) Mandatory one week unpaid vacation for all employees between now and end of June

2) 15% of the workforce will be furloughed until 12/31 (hopefully to be brought back 'when things pick up') OR will be RIF'd (Reduction in force, i.e. "let go")

Decisions on furloughs/RIF's were 'carefully selected' by determining what programs would need support for continued growth in the company. All in all though, management has in general been pretty transparent and forthright with us.

They told us this at 11 AM today, and told us we'd find out tomorrow who they'll be.

I don't think anything productive happened this afternoon because of the big cloud over everyone's head. I can paint a million different scenarios where I'd get laid off, and a million where I'd still be employed. I've been there for 5 years now, which if seniority meant anything, I'd actually not be doing too bad. I've spent much of my evening paranoid that I'm on the list, and searching indeed.com, monster.com, etc.

Myself along with the rest of the lower level employees (non-management people) probably won't have too good of a nights sleep tonight...

So, my question is - how would you feel going back to your desk after this? Would you want to be told so you could prepare for it, or would you just want to know ASAP that you've been canned? I know a couple other coworkers voiced concerns that this 24-hour "stewing" period would be plenty of time for people to 'ammo up' for tomorrow when they come in and *snap*.:eek:

Ohh, and just in case I should start soliciting now - anyone need an electrical engineer with an MBA? I'd consider myself more of a Product/Project engineer than an electrical engineer.:):o:violin:

Tune in tomorrow at 2PM for the exciting conclusion to this drama.

dramallama.jpg

Edited by JRMMiii
Took out the actual numbers... just in case it may've been confidential

I would rather just be told right then and there just say we are letting 109 people go and they are..........

The shock of it would suck if you were on the list but making everyone wait when only 15% will be cut is fucked up.

No matter what it really is terrible for those who get let go, and if someone was gonna "ammo up" it doesnt really matter when they are told if they are willing to do it then they will do it no matter what.

I'll keep my ear to the ground for possible electrical engineer jobs for ya. I'd tell you to call my dad, he's a civil engineer w/ his on biz, but I know we don't have jack squat in work right now so... Good Luck.

They have been cutting alot at my job too. Ive made the cuts so far. But it sucks and saps your morale. Stressing over this has aged me. I feel it more every week.

Sorry this is on your plate too bro.

Been there... I've been through a couple of plant shutdowns, while in the engineering groups. I actually volunteered to go away first from one place. In the long run, I always thought it was a good thing to get going on something new. The bad part, is not having much happening right now in this economy.

I would rather them tell me flat out no BS if I was going to have a job in the morning.

It's just another way of asserting control. Which in gereral pisses me off.

Here's hoping that you stay where you're at, and don't catch the economy bug.

So I'm bored tonight, and a little stressed/paranoid so I thought I'd get some ORDN love and opinions on this - maybe enhance the ol' social network a little bit.

We had our big Town Hall meeting today... after what seemed like an agonizing long presentation on the state of the industry, and the state of the economy, and how we're no where near our initial forecast or even the revised forecast, on and on and on - everyone waiting to hear if the rumor mill was true or not - they finally revealed the actions that were being taken - on top of the previous actions (pay reduction, retirement crap, etc) they took in February:

1) Mandatory one week unpaid vacation for all employees between now and end of June

2) 15% of the workforce will be furloughed until 12/31 (hopefully to be brought back 'when things pick up') OR will be RIF'd (Reduction in force, i.e. "let go")

Decisions on furloughs/RIF's were 'carefully selected' by determining what programs would need support for continued growth in the company. All in all though, management has in general been pretty transparent and forthright with us.

They told us this at 11 AM today, and told us we'd find out tomorrow who they'll be.

I don't think anything productive happened this afternoon because of the big cloud over everyone's head. I can paint a million different scenarios where I'd get laid off, and a million where I'd still be employed. I've been there for 5 years now, which if seniority meant anything, I'd actually not be doing too bad. I've spent much of my evening paranoid that I'm on the list, and searching indeed.com, monster.com, etc.

Myself along with the rest of the lower level employees (non-management people) probably won't have too good of a nights sleep tonight...

So, my question is - how would you feel going back to your desk after this? Would you want to be told so you could prepare for it, or would you just want to know ASAP that you've been canned? I know a couple other coworkers voiced concerns that this 24-hour "stewing" period would be plenty of time for people to 'ammo up' for tomorrow when they come in and *snap*.:eek:

Ohh, and just in case I should start soliciting now - anyone need an electrical engineer with an MBA? I'd consider myself more of a Product/Project engineer than an electrical engineer.:):o:violin:

Tune in tomorrow at 2PM for the exciting conclusion to this drama.

dramallama.jpg

Well you are not alone. My company enacted almost identical actions!

I was not let go fortunately. However, stewing for 24 hours is nothing. My brother was told a month in advance...