suspension: can i just pull and replace the fork cap?

smashweights

that's just it: can i just unscrew and replace the fork end cap or is that a bad idea? i'm just thinking about the spring etc. and if this is a dangerous/stupid idea and i need to do something else in order to remove it? the reason i ask is the previous owner ground off the rebound adjuster on the right fork cap and i've got the replacement cap and need to install it. thanks!

Unload the front forks first. If it's air compressed adjustable, release the air pressure first. Lift the bike so that the front forks hang free. Otherwise the extra load on the spring will pop the cap off harder, and make it very difficult to compress back by hand. It will still have a small amount of spring compression that you have to overcome when putting the new cap on. Be careful when threading the new one on, don't cross thread it. Thread it on straight. That's how it works on any of mine. When in doubt, use the service manual for details on how-to. I didn't look this one up. Maybe later.

I push down on the cap with a rag and the palm of my hand (both hands, sometimes). I turn it till it engages the threads. If it doesn't, I turn the cap a quarter turn and try again. It can be awkward, and sometimes it's not the hands that are turning, but the body and arms. It might take several tries before it starts threading and stays there. Turn it by hand to make sure it's not cross threaded. Torque it to the proper torque to finish. Put the air pressure back in. Check the air pressure in the other one.

There might be a better way, but I don't know it.

Edited by ReconRat

that's just it: can i just unscrew and replace the fork end cap or is that a bad idea? i'm just thinking about the spring etc. and if this is a dangerous/stupid idea and i need to do something else in order to remove it? the reason i ask is the previous owner ground off the rebound adjuster on the right fork cap and i've got the replacement cap and need to install it. thanks!

It isn't as simple as pulling off the cap and replacing it. I'd suggest one, a YAMAHA Service Manual - not a Cliff Notes version... Second, there are some things you'll need in terms of suspension parts to hold stuff and whatnot. Suggestion is to get it to someone who can do it and do it right...

ok, I looked it up in the service manual. The instructions are for a fork tube removed from the motorcycle, which you don't need to do.

Lizard1 is right, you will need the manual and some confidence to do this one. You might want to take the fork off and drop it off for repair. Or get some one with R6 experience to help you.

You will have to set the distance on the damper rod adjuster that is on the new cap. Either to the service manual spec, or to what was already set on the damper adjusting rod adjuster (the cap bolt).

Check the damper adjusting rod locknut position. (might as well as long as it's open.)

Set the cap bolt rod adjuster distance to specification. (the service manual is fuzzy on how to measure that)

Check cap o-ring if you don't have a new one.

Grease the o-ring.

Torque the cap bolt adjusting nut to 15Nm (11 ft-lb)

Torque the cap bolt to 23 Nm (17 ft-lb)

Do not drop anything inside the fork tube. Zero tolerance.

Also assuming the damper adjusting rod inside, was not damaged. If the damper adjusting rod is damaged, let someone else repair the fork tube.

hmm, i have a service manual and i'll take a look at it. i was hoping it would be simple pull and replace job, but doesnt seem that way... bummer alright i'll take a look at it but it seems like no matter what i'm gonna need a front forklift stand?

You'll need to get one that grabs the lower triple clamp and not the fork legs. (but you prolly knew that :cool:)

i thought that was what the "forklift" stands were. seems kinda worthless to get a stand that lifts from the fork legs. but yeah, i knew that's what i would need, thanks though ;)

IP is right, the fork lift will not unload the fork tubes. You would need to lift on the triple tree or the frame to unload the fork tubes. I cheat and back up to my van and strap it down over the back seat to lift the front end. But I have a center stand I can put on to do that.