Crash Smash Run

ReconRat

I keep saying that the oval track races at Columbus Motor Speedway are worth seeing. Now everyone has missed the special "flying debris" event. tsk.. It made the national news.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090524/ap_on_re_us/us_speedway_bus_crash

11 spectators hurt during 'figure 8' race in Ohio

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Two school buses have crashed into a restraining wall at a demolition derby-style race in Ohio, injuring at least 11 spectators. Witnesses say the accident occurred as the buses were racing in figure eights around the Columbus Motor Speedway track at around 10:30 p.m. Saturday. The race was one of several taking place during the Crash-A-Rama event.

Spectator Tiffany Estep says she had to shield her 18-month-old daughter from flying debris and saw people get hit by chunks of concrete from the 4-foot-high wall.

Columbus Fire Captain Scott Krummel says 11 people were taken to hospitals with mostly cuts and bruises and some ankle injuries.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/05/24/speedwaycrash.ART_ART_05-24-09_A1_50DVBNV.html?sid=101
Speeding buses crash at Columbus Motor Speedway; 11 injured

Spectators hurt; 11 taken to hospitals

Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:56 AM

By Josh Jarman

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

0524_speedway_200.jpg Neal C. Lauron | Dispatch

The 4-feet-high restraining wall in front of the grandstand at Columbus Motor Speedway in Obetz was damaged when two buses crashed. Chunks of concrete flew into the stands, injuring some of the spectators last night.

0524_COLUMBUS_MOTOR_SPEEDWAY2_a1_05-24-09_A6_4UDVBP6.jpg

Click here to enlarge map

Video

Two buses crashed into a restraining wall in front of the grandstand at the Columbus Motor Speedway last night, injuring at least 11 spectators. The accident occurred about 10:30 p.m., during a Crash-A-Rama event. Two school buses collided while doing figure eights on the one-third mile, semi-banked oval track.

Eyewitnesses said that the buses rounded a turn in front of the grandstand when the lead bus was hit from behind by another bus, sending it crashing into a concrete restraining wall. Chunks of concrete from the wall flew into the crowd.

Columbus Fire Capt. Scott Krummel, who's in charge of all the medics, said 11 people were transported to area hospitals. He said six were taken to Nationwide Children's Hospital in stable condition, three to Mount Carmel West and two to Grant Medical Center.

He said the injuries appeared to be mostly cuts and bruises and some injured ankles.

Tiffany Estep, 24, was in the stands walking toward the wall when the buses hit. Debris started flying from the 4-feet-high wall.

"I had my 18-month-old daughter with me so I just shielded her," Estep said. "I felt it hitting me and people were running and covering their kids and there were a lot of people screaming."

She watched people get hit by chunks of flying concrete, including one man on the head.

Jen Repasky, 24, from Toledo, said the buses were getting up to speed when the accident occurred. The stands were packed, she said, including many children.

Repasky said she had just asked a friend, Chris Williams, "Do you think those walls are made to withstand 8,000-pound busses?" He assured her they were.

She saw one victim being given CPR and was told he was unconscious.

The owner of the Speedway, Jeff Nuckles, said "the safety fence did its job. We're very fortunate no one was more seriously injured. Our hearts and prayers go out to those who are injured."

Nuckles said the bus races have been going on for six to eight years and have never resulted in this type of incident.

jjarman@dispatch.com

I never sat down in turn one anyway. That's where all the debris from crashes goes into the stands. The crashes can be seen just fine from turn four. But everyone want to sit close to the action in turn one.