Any suggestions? Good 2nd bike for a short-legged dude like me

thomez

I've put 1000 miles on my Ninja 250 learning machine. I'm pretty comfortable with it, in fact I think I'm getting too comfortable with it and doing shit that I would never do on a bigger bike. I mean, I ride it through the yard when I know I shouldn't, I mess around at stop lights and bounce it from left to right between my legs, stupid stuff like that. I basically treat it like it is a little toy, because with my lard-ass on it, that's what it acts like :o

So I've already began looking for a bigger bike. It needs to be something that a dude with the shortest legs you have ever seen can handle... so a short seat height is important (a big reason I bought the Ninjette). I don't know if any supersports are short enough, but I have sat on a new Ninja 650R and SV650 and both were tall but not too tall I guess. Those 2 bikes seem like perfect 2nd bikes, but I was wondering if anyone else had other suggestions. I'll probably try to find a new bike after the riding season when prices are low. (or at least, I hope they are low)

Thanks for any and all help that can be provided. I'm 5'6" with about a 27-28" inseam if that helps. :o

I'm coming off of a 500 Ninja... Bar vibrations are greater than it, but nothing too bad. I always found it funny that people complain about bar vibrations... I've put 500 miles on in one day and never had any problems... My ass always gives out WAY before anything...

Oh, and I should add... If you are serious about checking out a Buell, they do demos all the time. I demo'ed one and bought one at http://www.westernreservehd.com/. I called EVERY Harley/Buell dealership in the state and those within striking distance outside the state... They still gave me the best deal OTD. Talk to April if you are serious... Good luck looking into her eyes.:metal:

I've put 1000 miles on my Ninja 250 learning machine. I'm pretty comfortable with it, in fact I think I'm getting too comfortable with it and doing shit that I would never do on a bigger bike. I mean, I ride it through the yard when I know I shouldn't, I mess around at stop lights and bounce it from left to right between my legs, stupid stuff like that. I basically treat it like it is a little toy, because with my lard-ass on it, that's what it acts like :o

So I've already began looking for a bigger bike. It needs to be something that a dude with the shortest legs you have ever seen can handle... so a short seat height is important (a big reason I bought the Ninjette). I don't know if any supersports are short enough, but I have sat on a new Ninja 650R and SV650 and both were tall but not too tall I guess. Those 2 bikes seem like perfect 2nd bikes, but I was wondering if anyone else had other suggestions. I'll probably try to find a new bike after the riding season when prices are low. (or at least, I hope they are low)

Thanks for any and all help that can be provided. I'm 5'6" with about a 27-28" inseam if that helps. :o

Best thing you can do is go to a shop with a bunch of different manufacturers and styles of bikes and sit on them all a few times to find out what fits you. You may have luck in trying out different years of bikes as well, the '06 R6 feels like it sits a bit lower than the '07 for example.

Also, bikes like the Suzuki sv650 or Kawi Ninja 650r sit more upright which will allow you reach a bit easier.

I still do that stuff at lights on my 1000. If you were saying you were trying to do a wheelie from a stop light, or locking the rear tire up for fun (I am guilty of that one too).

But if you are getting bored then I would moving up to a SV or a 600 then you would be good.

Like fusion said your gonna have to sit on all the bikes to see what works best for you. I think the Hondas are too cramped and seat to hard, Yamaha feels like I am on top of the bike not in the seat, Kawasaki i don't like how low the windscreens are, and so far Suzuki is where I feel most comfortable.

But you may feel the Honda fits you best, or the Kawi.

Thanks for the suggestions. I sat on my buddies 650R yesterday and have no real trouble touching the ground on it, so maybe my options aren't as limited as I initially thought. I have a while to make up my mind :)

just go with a 600cc and lower it a couple of inches.

I wouldn't do that... Everyone I have ever met who lowered a bike said it rode like shit in the twisties... I guess if twisties are not your thing, then go for it... Personally if I did anything, it'd be raising the front slightly for a quicker turn-in (like I need that)...