True a Spoke Wheel

Artmageddon

Anyone in the Columbus have the equipment and the know-how to properly true a spoked wheel?

I had my front wheel done about a month or two ago at Yamaha of Columbus and it was fine, but when I rode today it is already back to shaking and wobbling. Not sure I want to take it back there.

Honda NW said they could check it out for me, but they are usually fairly backed up, but I'll take it to them if no one else can.

I checked it out a bit when I got home by putting putting a piece if wire near the rim and spinning and watching the distance. It seems okay, nothing like what it was before I had trued the first time.

I also tapped all of the spokes. Quite a few of them buzzed and rattled rather than the nice ping of of the rest, so I'm thinking there is a problem.

I've never done this before and not quite sure how, and I would like it done properly.

I'm going to call Yamaha of Columbus tomorrow when they open to see what they say. If they are going to stand behind their work, check it out and re-fix at no or very low cost if necessary, I'll give them another shot. Otherwise, I would prefer to try someone else.

So if anyone near Columbus has a spoke wrench, a dial indicator, and a truing stand and knows what there are doing, please let me know and give me an estimate. If you need more info, let me know.

If you wanna drive it to Dayton I can do it...

I know he said Columbus dewds, I'm just throwing out the offer...

and BTW I talked to the guys in service a bit yesterday and they aren't all that busy. It's gonna cost you a $100 bones or so if you take it to them though...

If you wanna drive it to Dayton I can do it...

I know he said Columbus dewds, I'm just throwing out the offer...

and BTW I talked to the guys in service a bit yesterday and they aren't all that busy. It's gonna cost you a $100 bones or so if you take it to them though...

Dayton might me okay if I need to. Let me see what Yamaha says tomorrow.

If I would, would it be possible to do it same day while I wait?(I would leave, go grab lunch) I may even take it off the bike to do it if it's shaking too much. 75 miles of highway on a wobbly bike probably won't be fun.

Which service guys? The ones at your shop or somewhere here local?

Bill at HNW...whoops shoulda added that...

I could do it same day. Leaving and grabbing lunch would be good. I work better alone.

Off the bike would make it much easier for me, then all I gotta do it dismount the tire and slap it up on the truing stand. It's not a big deal to take it off the bike either though.

I work my actual job til 4 weekdays so the bike stuff is after I get off work. Usually I start doing whatever work I have around 5. So this sounds like it might be a weekend thing if you want me to do it. Anyway just lemme know.

Bill at HNW...whoops shoulda added that...

I could do it same day. Leaving and grabbing lunch would be good. I work better alone.

Off the bike would make it much easier for me, then all I gotta do it dismount the tire and slap it up on the truing stand. It's not a big deal to take it off the bike either though.

I work my actual job til 4 weekdays so the bike stuff is after I get off work. Usually I start doing whatever work I have around 5. So this sounds like it might be a weekend thing if you want me to do it. Anyway just lemme know.

Cool. I'll call Yamaha and and HNW, if they can't get me in by the weekend I'll bring it to you. I have a few weekend trips planned starting the week after, so I need to get it done fairly quickly.

I know what you mean about working alone. I hate when my customers stare over my shoulder while I'm designing their stuff and think they are suddenly graphic designers. I don't want to be that guy.

Cool. I'll call Yamaha and and HNW, if they can't get me in by the weekend I'll bring it to you. I have a few weekend trips planned starting the week after, so I need to get it done fairly quickly.

I know what you mean about working alone. I hate when my customers stare over my shoulder while I'm designing their stuff and think they are suddenly graphic designers. I don't want to be that guy.

Sounds good.

I can't concentrate if I'm doing anything that requires numbers if someone is there. Just changing a tire I don't mind too much, but the technical work I need my alone time.

Edited by dustinsn3485

Truthfully, I've never met Bill, and would feel like a dick asking someone I don't know for a favor. Just not my style.

As long I know it will be done correctly, I really have no problem with paying to have it done. Don't get me wrong, it won't make me happy to again for a job that I already paid to have done once. Sometimes shit happens though and you just have to suck it up. I would rather have a safe bike.