Should I consider this a deal or not?

cmoosego

I recently went to a local bike shop, and found what I feel could be my next bike... but I wanted some opinions.... You all know I own a 2007 suzuki c-50 boulevard cruiser with 13k miles on it, that is very comfortable and my wife likes and can ride with me.... it has tons of luggage space for everything I might need and some extra (as vrod dave is quick to use) .... problem is it won't keep pace with you jokers around here... (maybe I shouldn't have to, but I feel bad when I slow a ride up) well here's the deal.... I found a sport tourer that I really like and the price is right.... it's a 2007 BMW F 800 ST, with 15k miles on it, the dealer is asking $8,990, I owe about $6,500 on mine, so I think I'll prolly be a little top heavy financially in the deal... question 1: given this will only be my second bike ever in my life is this a good choice both in ridability and financially? and question 2: will it be able to "keep pace" with most of the bikes around here a little better then my current beast? and question 3: would it make me a douchebag in any of your eyes??? :popcorn: I'll sit back and watch the fur fly....

:lol: @ last question.

I don't know anything about that pariticular bike, but I say if you don't care for the cost after they factor in your negative equity if you get any, then go for it. Enjoy life man.:cool: Although, you're paying more for the BMW name. You can get a FASTER sport tourer for that kind of money and less mileage if you get a different type.

Keep the c50, everyone should be waiting for you anyway since you're nice enough to carry their shit. :)

I would also have a hard time paying $9000 for a bike with 15000 miles on it.

If you want something fast might as well get a new(er) sportbike for close to that.

Your money though, ride something that you love, not what everyone else does.

1) Yes, it will be forgiving. Torquey but not a huge amount of power. In fact, the parallel twin fires simultaneously I believe, it will feel a bit like a thumper. Also BMW's tend to hold their value well. So if you can afford it go for it.

2) It will keep up to a degree. Definitely much better than the current ride. It has wide bars and isn't too heavy. At a spirited pace if you know the bike well you should have no trouble. It's still more agile than an ST1100 and I've seen those things rail with the right rider. All that and comfort is a nice package.

3) Of course not, it's a cool bike. I wish I had a Beemer.

2006-BMW-F800STa.jpg

Edited by V4junkie

The f 800 ST is a great bike, its lots of fun to ride, luggage is available thru BMW, but with only 85 horsepower its not as powerful as the other sportbikes. If you want stop in here at ohiomotorcycle, I will do what I can to get you out on a test ride on the f 800s, it has the same motor and drivetrain it just has a little more aggressive seating position and no lower fairing. stop in and ride it

The f 800 ST is a great bike, its lots of fun to ride, luggage is available thru BMW, but with only 85 horsepower its not as powerful as the other sportbikes. If you want stop in here at ohiomotorcycle, I will do what I can to get you out on a test ride on the f 800s, it has the same motor and drivetrain it just has a little more aggressive seating position and no lower fairing. stop in and ride it

the one I looked at had the expandable saddle bags already on it.... and a throttle lock, and heated grips, abs, and a couple other " accesories"

Edited by cmoosego

have you considered a used FZ1? comfy, corners well, can seat 2 people easily, and that liter I4 can haul you and anyone else around quite handily.

enthusiasm for new bike aside, if you're going to be hurting because of this, I wouldn't do it. It's always better to save up the money first so that if you find the right buyer and find the right replacement bike, you'll be ready to make the move, and you won't be upside down on your toy.

whatever you decide, good luck!

have you considered a used FZ1? comfy, corners well, can seat 2 people easily, and that liter I4 can haul you and anyone else around quite handily.

enthusiasm for new bike aside, if you're going to be hurting because of this, I wouldn't do it. It's always better to save up the money first so that if you find the right buyer and find the right replacement bike, you'll be ready to make the move, and you won't be upside down on your toy.

whatever you decide, good luck!

honestly, in a perfect world I'd love to keep my bike and have a second one for kickin it with you's fine bikers... but, no I hadn't considered an FZ1.... how does it compare to the F800 ST? (Not trying to sound dumb, but I am where it comes to different bikes)

go back and do the test ride tonight. That will definitely help with making this decision. Bimmers are nice bikes w/great creature comforts and niceties (farkles). You may want to check out advrider.com for reviews and Q&A session

The F800 is little lacking in power compared to other sport touring bikes. I personally like the VFR 800 much better and with it's V4 motor, it's no slouch.

The FZ1 is an awesome bike, I just sold mine. (financial reasons only) It's basically an R1 motor in a more upright chassis. They do have a really nice used one at Ohio Motorcycle (Honda Northwest). I think it's a 2006 and they want way less than the BMW you are considering, I would definitely check it out and RockStarHonda (Austin) could probably let you ride it.

Another thing to consider is maintenance. BMW's are much more expensive to maintain, and require it more often.

Dont get me wrong, I love some of the BMW's, I'm just not real impressed with that particular model.