Increase hp with sparkplugs?

xtremef4i

Browsing the web and came across this. http://www.oppracing.com/products/265-brisk-sparkplugs/ 1.5 hp for a 600, 2 hp for a 750, 3 hp for a 1000, and up to 5 hp on a ZX-14?

Personally, I am not sure how a spark plug alone can give you more hp. I know there have been statements made like this for cars, specifically the E3 plugs. Has anyone ever used these before, or heard these sort of claims?

FTR, I am not loking to replace mine, as I just installed new NGK Iridiums not too long ago. Not wanting to turn this into a "what plug is the best" thread either. Just found it interesting that they claim increased hp.

I've seen claims like this for a long long time.

I don't believe any of them.

If it were true, we'd all be using them.

This plug specifically;

multiple electrodes are good, with the use of a high voltage ignition.

Spark conducted along insulator, mixed feelings, spark in air gap is basic standard.

Spark plug extended into combustion chamber, it's been done, it didn't catch on.

The NGK Iridium is fine. Lots of bang for the buck.

In aviation, two plugs per cylinder is better than one. But two magnetos are better also.

In drag racing, in general, a standard plug will have the gap increased until the trap times stop decreasing. (edited)

In racing in general, plugs are sometimes indexed so that the electrode gap points toward the mass of the combustion chamber air charge.

Any "wizard" plugs with special claims: Gotta see the dyno or trap times to believe it.

Typically, the dyno chart shown is for a bike that had bad plugs as tested.

Typically, attempts to repeat that dyno chart on your bike won't work.

My experience: I've had spark plugs break and drop pieces into the combustion chamber.

So I won't be the one to mess around with plugs I'm not sure of.

edit: ahhh, one more thing, on multiple electrode spark plugs, the spark tends to fire in only one place anyway. (Path of least resistance.) No advantage until it moves to a new location, and then it's still the same.

Edited by ReconRat
moar

I've seen claims like this for a long long time.

I don't believe any of them.

If it were true, we'd all be using them.

This plug specifically;

multiple electrodes are good, with the use of a high voltage ignition.

Spark conducted along insulator, mixed feelings, spark in air gap is basic standard.

Spark plug extended into combustion chamber, it's been done, it didn't catch on.

The NGK Iridium is fine. Lots of bang for the buck.

In aviation, two plugs per cylinder is better than one. But two magnetos are better also.

In drag racing, in general, a standard plug will have the gap increased until the trap times decrease.

In racing in general, plugs are sometimes indexed so that the electrode gap points toward the mass of the combustion chamber air charge.

Any "wizard" plugs with special claims: Gotta see the dyno or trap times to believe it.

Typically, the dyno chart shown is for a bike that had bad plugs as tested.

Typically, attempts to repeat that dyno chart on your bike won't work.

My experience: I've had spark plugs break and drop pieces into the combustion chamber.

So I won't be the one to mess around with plugs I'm not sure of.

edit: ahhh, one more thing, on multiple electrode spark plugs, the spark tends to fire in only one place anyway. (Path of least resistance.) No advantage until it moves to a new location, and then it's still the same.

+2

I think just about covers it.

Only way this product would increase HP, is if you had a plug which was not producing enough spark to make a good detonation, and hence not all the fuel was getting burned that could be. A weak spark can cause poor detonation. But there is a optimal spark level where the engine produces the best detonation possible, any increase spark beyond this will not offer you any increased performance at all. All that considered I suppose it is possible some engineers may have designed their engines with a stock plug that might be right below the optimal point, in which case you still would not need these plugs, you could find another plug with a lower R value do accomplish the same thing. ect.

Yeah, it is sorta true... Listen to Recon though, NGK Iridiums may be the best plug on the market. Better to feed them with a hotter coil/ICM, but they are worth the extra cost any day. A great plug vs a shitty plug WILL give you better efficiency and thus more power. What any given manufacturer claims is a completely different story.

The only benefit of any plug out there over your plugs is that they are new. Multi-electrode plugs only block the flame front and when the flame fronts hit each other it causes detonation. Thats the worst thing in a high performance engine like a sport bike with 11.5 to one compression. The only thing i have seen make a difference that is somewhat noticable (on a dyno) is changing the placement of the side or ground electrode by clocking the plug by using spark plug washers of different thicknesses. its only maybe a half of a horsepower per cylinder on large engines so maybe a 2 hp difference on a sportbike. it also takes multiple plugs to get the right depth once u change the washer thickness. its a pain for little gain. not worth it for a street bike.

lots of good point and the only way I can see plugs doing anything is if you have a full setup. Like on my car I have screamin demon with a high output master coil and large wires as well. I can actually gap so large my pistons will slap. Also having new plugs and showing dyno gains is like saying royal purple adds horsepower. New fluid has less resistance the old so any dyno will show improvment of hp numbers if you change fluids then dyno.