interceptor vfr

oldschoolsdime92

I have been extremely intrigued with the newer interceptors, mainly the 09s. My uncle had an 86 interceptor, and if i remember correctly it was more of a sport bike.I recently rode a triumph sprint 955i, which is classified as a sport touring bike. In first gear it pulled nice and hard, and the rest of the gears, not so much. my 96 f3, pulls hard all the way through. I am thinking about getting a new vfr this spring. Am I going to run into the same situation with the vfr as i did the triumph?Can someone give me a review of the vfr? I have seen a few of them around on here.

I don't have a VFR and I've never ridden one, but I do read a lot about them and I've talked to a couple of coworkers that own them...so take what I type with a grain of salt.

I believe the most desirable are the 5th gens with the gear driven cams. You might want to search for a '98-02 with low mileage, which would probably be cheaper than an 07-09 model on the used market. The two guys at work that have them loved them, they're like the Buicks of sportbikes, they don't do any ONE thing exceptionally well, but they do EVERYTHING more than fine. One of the best all around bikes for comfort, styling, power, reliability, etc. The one guy just traded his in for a new FZ6R, but he's been riding for over 25 years and had over 75k on this VFR. The other guy has around 25k on his and it's still going strong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VFR800

Edited by JRMMiii

I don't have a VFR and I've never ridden one, but I do read a lot about them and I've talked to a couple of coworkers that own them...so take what I type with a grain of salt.

I believe the most desirable are the 5th gens with the gear driven cams. You might want to search for a '98-02 with low mileage, which would probably be cheaper than an 07-09 model on the used market. The two guys at work that have them loved them, they're like the Buicks of sportbikes, they don't do any ONE thing exceptionally well, but they do EVERYTHING more than fine. One of the best all around bikes for comfort, styling, power, reliability, etc. The one guy just traded his in for a new FZ6R, but he's been riding for over 25 years and had over 75k on this VFR. The other guy has around 25k on his and it's still going strong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VFR800

qft

(except the 5th gen thing :cool:)

I've had mine since before the first mile flipped on the odo. So 12 years and counting, its a great all round bike. Not even in 97 was it the fastest 750 nor the lightest but it is comfy and has plenty o power for me. In 98 they went FI and still had the gear driven cams, so they sound cool ;) the next Gen has v-tech (or whatever honda calls it) which some people love some don't. Not sure what was wrong the 86 you rode but even my old school carbed model pulls hard from the bottom of the tach all the way up with a nice little bump around 7k when it starts to growl a little. Newer versions picked up some lbs/, 50 cc and a little power.

Finding a clean 5th gen is tuff cause people tend to keep them a while but there are some nice ones if ya search. you can prolly find brand new 1-2 yr old models at a dealer near you for a steal, I think there is still a RWB model (my personal fav of the 6th gens) @ honda east up here in Maumee.

The nice thing is they are kind of like squid repellent, so chances are if you find a used one it wont be completely thrashed. At local bike nights no one seems to give it a second glance unless they are over a certain age, tend to get beemers guys that ask about it from time to time.

If your ever near the toledo area give maybe we can work out a test spin.

Edited by gruss

I had an '87 VFR700 for 6 years and while it was a nice bike, it was just that - nice. Didn't have a whole lot of character until I added a 4-2-1 exaust. I've ridden all the generations of VFR's, some of which with significant seat time - an entire day or more, not just a demo ride.

I had the opportunity to spend a day on a friend's VFR800 and I must say while it was a nice bike, I was pretty underwhelmed with the handling. Not that there was anything wrong with it, the bike just doesn't feel as agile as my Monster. That's may have been just a setup issue though.

Motor & tranny were great, although the vtec was a little strange when it kicked in. Power was entertaining.

I much prefer the Monster ride position over the VFR. I like being more upright in the saddle.

If I were in your shoes I'd see if I could ride one for a half hour or so minimum. Dealer demo rides aren't always long enough to get a feel for the bike.

most definitly. My girlfriend loves to ride also, but the f3, two up, for more than 60 or 70 miles is just uncomfy for the two of us. I can put hundreds of miles at a time on the f3 by myself. I hate to get a cruiser and have to have two bikes. Id like to find one that does both equally well. Any thoughts you guys have? I have always been a die hard honda guy but im not completly restricted to that.

i spent some time on an F3 but not with a passenger, ergos are very similar so you'll be happy but I'm not sure if the passenger accommodations are that much different? I really just don't know the bike is a smidge longer so maybe? the lower end will make it easier to ride 2 up, one of the main reasons I grabbed the VFR over the f3 way back when....a corbin/sargent saddle might be all you need though on either to make her happy?

I bought an '03 VFR800 five months ago and love it so far. Bought it for $5k in pristine condition. If you like the 07-09s, keep in mind that it's the same bike from '02 on. Honda hasn't changed 'em in 8 years.

i love my viffer

its the perfect all around bike.

it is fast, handles extremely well, comfortable, ride 2 up nicely.

as for not pulling in all gears...

i think mine does. as stupid as it sounds, when vtec ingages its like a whole nother bike. under 7k its very timid, torquey, but timid... great for cruising. get above 7k and it will eat up pavement.

i had an R6 before this bike, and i feel much more confident on the viffer than my r6. power range is more broad, feels more confident in the turns, just a better bike FOR ME.

i love hitting the twisties with the viffer.

but yeah like floydzboyz said.. 02 up are identical.. except some have abs and some dont.

i personally like my abs model.. but the non abs models can be had cheaper

i do like the 98-02 VFRs as well. love that gear driven cams

they make just a smidge more power than the 02 up models as well

I love my 00 VFR. Great power band, and a more comfortable riding position that most sportbikes.

But like everyone has said. Its a great all around bike. Its the King of Queen's or The Jack of all trades.

I think you guys have made my mind up. I am pretty sure thats what I am going to get this coming spring. =) Of course I may still keep the f3 around, incase my girlfriend decided she wants to learn to ride. I would really like to get a chance to go out and ride one for a day though, or atleast a couple hours.

I love the VFR but I think my next bike will probably be a Triumph Sprint ST (1055cc). Don't get me wrong, if the VFR was the last bike I ever owned I would retire a happy rider. Sometimes it was lacking in personality just ever so slightly. Pipes and paintjob make up for that a great deal. It's also nice that so few people really know what a VFR is. My complaint with the newer gen is the same as what 5th gen owners seem to say. The current series of VFR lost some character without the gear driven cams and added weight. Now I'm not fond of the 5th gen's looks at all, but it seems to be just as comfortable and just a bit sportier. The 6th gen is a great bike, but oddly the change from 5th to 6th wasn't really a step forward, maybe more of a step sideways. With some seat time I'm sure you'll be able to decide what's right for you. If you can only one bike the VFR does everything well and nothing badly.

Probably true with the last generation of Sprint. Comparing the current one they seem to have made some improvements. Per MCN:

Honda VFR: 107hp, 59tq, 218kg

Triumph Sprint ST: 123hp, 75tq, 210kg

That being said I've only seen a few Sprints and haven't been able to ride one yet.

I love my '87 VFR it has plenty of character

Yes, mine was awesome too, but much better after I added the 4-2-1 exhaust. Sorry didn't even come close to making that clear. The gear driven cam "whine" was what sold me... :)

My "problem" with the VFR has to do with my preference for v-twins over fours, I think. It's a capable bike and a great rider can probably ride circles around my sorry butt. :) My first bike was a Hawk GT, and the VFR just didn't live up to my expectations as well as I thought it would. I should probably also note that I never took the time to really properly set up the suspension. I had converted the rear wheel to a 17" from a 600F2 and had a custom WP rear shock, and don't recall if I ever replaced the fork springs or not.

Edited by don_zielke

Probably true with the last generation of Sprint. Comparing the current one they seem to have made some improvements. Per MCN:

Honda VFR: 107hp, 59tq, 218kg

Triumph Sprint ST: 123hp, 75tq, 210kg

That being said I've only seen a few Sprints and haven't been able to ride one yet.

I thought about the Sprint a few years ago, and got to test drive one, and it just didn't impress me enough to want a payment. Really nice bike but it just didn't speak to me....maybe it was the lack of the gear driven cams??? All this talk about "character" but seriously I love when I pull up next to a new cbgsxr6 and they go "sounds like your bike is gonna blow up!" when they hear the whine. Thats character!!! I don't know I could have easily been quite happy with a sprint but the fit and finish just wasn't up to viffer standards either. I'm slow as phuk on a bike so 15 HP aint gonna make me any faster I'll do some suspension work and get a few more years outta the old girl.