Tom Ridge admits terror alerts were used for political reasons.

Disclaimer

Did changing the threat level really change the government’s reach on my civil liberties? Maybe you’re referencing the patriot act? But as the news story goes the “threat level” was used for propaganda. It’s not a yes or no answer because your question is off base. If we didn’t have a generic threat level system with pretty little colors, and an attack did happen… wow people would question the government’s efficacy about warning citizens of a possible terror attack.

I say vested interest, because Tom Ridge has a vested interest in selling a book. Why wait till now to mention those details, unless you’re going to profit on them through a book deal? That’s a legitimate argument. NBC has a vested interest in seeing Obama succeed because they sell his merchandise on their website. I find it so ironic that the same people who don’t want a government big enough to screen their phone calls, are okay with a government that can provide them health insurance, cash for clunkers and bailouts.

This time I’m going to hit you with some Thomas Jefferson “'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.” I believe that quote just as much as the last one.

The threat level was most recently updated on August 21st and hasn’t changed since Sept. of 2007.

My reference is that Obama violates our civil liberties by allowing the Federal government to overstep its boundaries. Maybe you and he should read the 9th and 10th amendments, I’ll even let you borrow my copy of the Consitution and Bill of Rights. :D

Maybe you should pick a different category Connery.

290x215-snl----celebrity-jeopardy-sean-connery-highlights.jpg

Did changing the threat level really change the government’s reach on my civil liberties? Maybe you’re referencing the patriot act? But as the news story goes the “threat level” was used for propaganda. It’s not a yes or no answer because your question is off base. If we didn’t have a generic threat level system with pretty little colors, and an attack did happen… wow people would question the government’s efficacy about warning citizens of a possible terror attack.

290x215-snl----celebrity-jeopardy-sean-connery-highlights.jpg

"You think you're pretty smart, don't you dmaigicglock! What with your dago mustache and your greasy hair!"

In NYC the cops and transit authority FREAK out when the threat level gets raised. This freakout leads to increased searches without probable cause (4th amendment violation), if you happen to refuse the illegal searches you are detained (6th amendment violation). Off-border "random" searches are increased, violating the above amendments. I'll ask it again, where in the Constitution does it allow for the waiver of the above amendments just because the Government decides to change a color based on evidence that is not available to the public?

I say vested interest, because Tom Ridge has a vested interest in selling a book. Why wait till now to mention those details, unless you’re going to profit on them through a book deal? That’s a legitimate argument. NBC has a vested interest in seeing Obama succeed because they sell his merchandise on their website.

I will agree that Tom Ridge has a vested interest in selling his book. I will also agree that the timing is a little suspect. Correlation does not imply causation. Don't argue the timing of the statement, argue the statement itself.

I find it so ironic that the same people who don’t want a government big enough to screen their phone calls, are okay with a government that can provide them health insurance, cash for clunkers and bailouts.

More non-sequiters.

This time I’m going to hit you with some Thomas Jefferson “'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.” I believe that quote just as much as the last one.

I agree with Jefferson. I still think you missed the point of Franklin.

The threat level was most recently updated on August 21st and hasn’t changed since Sept. of 2007.

My reference is that Obama violates our civil liberties by allowing the Federal government to overstep its boundaries. Maybe you and he should read the 9th and 10th amendments, I’ll even let you borrow my copy of the Consitution and Bill of Rights. :D

Obama didn't create these policies, Bush did. I fault Obama for not getting rid of them, but that is as far as his blame goes. Obama had NOTHING to do with the original statement and premise of this discussion. ZERO.

I think what we have here is a simple issue of perspective. I have no idea on what your background is, as I haven't had the opportunity to meet you yet (when the hell are you coming to the M&G anyway) and buy you that beer I owe you and Isaac's Papa. That being said, I believe that you are viewing this strictly from the lens of your own experiences in small-town Ohio. Nothing at all wrong with that. My experiences are from someone who's traveled quite often to NYC and around the country. I have a cousin who's in the NYPD, and loads of family that still lives in Staten Island and Manhattan. I've also traveled to Arizona and Mexico a ton for work, and must have crossed the US/Mexico border by foot and car about 50-60 times already. I've been searched illegally by a overzealous Port Authority cop, and have been stopped illegally by Border Patrol 15 miles from the Mexico border, well within American soil. These things happen, and they get MUCH worse with the raising of the terror level.

I think what we have here is a simple issue of perspective. I have no idea on what your background is, as I haven't had the opportunity to meet you yet (when the hell are you coming to the M&G anyway) and buy you that beer I owe you and Isaac's Papa. That being said, I believe that you are viewing this strictly from the lens of your own experiences in small-town Ohio. Nothing at all wrong with that. My experiences are from someone who's traveled quite often to NYC and around the country. I have a cousin who's in the NYPD, and loads of family that still lives in Staten Island and Manhattan. I've also traveled to Arizona and Mexico a ton for work, and must have crossed the US/Mexico border by foot and car about 50-60 times already. I've been searched illegally by a overzealous Port Authority cop, and have been stopped illegally by Border Patrol 15 miles from the Mexico border, well within American soil. These things happen, and they get MUCH worse with the raising of the terror level.

I think I'm well traveled, I'm certainly no Miss South Carolina. I travel a lot for my job and have in previous jobs. I've had my share of walks through the Gas Chromatography machine in an airport. I work mostly in Urban areas so although I understand the meaning of "knee high by the fourth of july" I'm no briar. haha Anyhow, I need to get out to a M&G sometime, I wish so many of you fuckers weren't up in columbus. I live South of Dayton, but if I am up for a good case of Iron Ass one weekend, I'll have to come to a cbus meet and greet and even buy you a beer without asking for an illegal search and seizure. Wouldn't it be nice if the border patrol guy bought you a drink before he put his hands there? :eek: jk Anyhow, I understand your concerns and I think we both want similar things (smaller government?)

I think I'm well traveled, I'm certainly no Miss South Carolina. I travel a lot for my job and have in previous jobs. I've had my share of walks through the Gas Chromatography machine in an airport. I work mostly in Urban areas so although I understand the meaning of "knee high by the fourth of july" I'm no briar. haha Anyhow, I need to get out to a M&G sometime, I wish so many of you fuckers weren't up in columbus. I live South of Dayton, but if I am up for a good case of Iron Ass one weekend, I'll have to come to a cbus meet and greet and even buy you a beer without asking for an illegal search and seizure. Wouldn't it be nice if the border patrol guy bought you a drink before he put his hands there? :eek: jk Anyhow, I understand your concerns and I think we both want similar things (smaller government?)

Finally something I can get behind. ;)