Mansfield Motor Speedway

siggywiggy

for those of you who care :)

Mansfield motor speedway is have a monster jam, fireworks, starboyz event on saturday the 5th.

Saturday September 5, 2009 - Summer Firestorm @ MMP!

• Ground Pounding Fire Breathing Monster Trucks

• A Jet Truck Car Burn

• Lauren Hofmann, the World's Only Female Human Bomb

• The Unbelievable 3-car Wall of Steel

• $10 Gate Fee - Kids 12 & Under Free!

• A Roll-Over Contest

• The Hilarious One-On-One Demolition Derby

• See the Tower of Fire swallow a speeding motorcycle

• Enjoy the Incredible Star Boyz Motorcycle Show

• Watch a car fly through the air and land inside an exploding motor home

• Listen to the rock band TRUST, live and in person

• Then end your evening with our famous Fireworks Show.

For more information, email Kevin Ruic

link - http://www.kosinet.com/mmp/

They are, basically what happened is this; They started to build what was going to be the biggest, fastest dragstrip around, and everything from Norwalk was supposed to move there, and everything from Cbus was going to go to Norwalk. Well the EPA came in and took a big shit on their plans due to a tiny natural stream that they were going to have to blockup and stop from running. This meant all the dirt that was moved and leveling was pointless. If you drive by on 545 or Piper or the other back roads you can actually see the dragstrip. Hell the drag strip goes all the way up to th track in the back too. BUT they lost way too much there.

Then the trucks pulled out after last season, and then it was game over. There was an ARCA race and Hooters(I think) this season and thats it. This weekend is just a annual event, I believe Pepsi has their hands in it and it basically is like a big thank you.

Honestly, its sad to say, but if Mansfield would have stayed dirt like it was up until about 95ish, when it shut down and started to become what it is today, it would still be in business.

Dirt track racing is huge around the area especially in Ohio in general, so its kinda sad.

If anyone has time to go out and support this, I recommend it, its a good time, and the track owner is a real legit and nice person. Ive met him numerous times and have always attended events there.

That's kinda sorta the story I heard. I was following it pretty close because of my drag racing roots.

The story I got was the EPA said there was "protected wetlands" that Dzurilla (former owner) had to fight about. Funny thing was, those protected wetlands were artificial...as in Dzurilla put them there after the major revamp of MMS, so basically the EPA was protecting wetlands that Dzurilla was forced to create in the first place.

Norwalk would've stayed on the schedule since they had JUST switched to NHRA. I think the plan for Mansfield was to take a lot of the points races and action from Nat'l Trails.

Fun Fact: Dzurilla used to own/sponsor Dave Connelly's (an Elyria native) Pro Stock car. Which was an additional reason Dzurilla wanted to build the track.

The rest of the stuff is the same I heard - as far as when the Trucks, ARCA, and Hooters Cup cars pulled out - it was a downward spiral from there. It is a shame since he really made it a nice facility.

I had the opportunity to enjoy a couple of the truck races from the grandstands and the suites. They were nice, and the fireworks they had after the truck race (in '07 I think?) still rank as one of the top 3 best fireworks shows I've seen (behind Rock 'n' Blast @ Jacob's Field, and Norwalk Night Under Fire).

Ya more or less same. I did hear NHRA was actually going to pull out of Norwalk in order to run at Mansfield, but either way, yeah same story.

And yeah those wetlands aren't wetlands, its a field that some dude farms. The EPA basically ruined this guys life. End of story.