Soo..You want to become a racer?? Trackday vs Racing

Dubguy85

Gave me chills reading it, hope that works out for ya Dub!

Thanks...Lets make no mistake...I'm a LOOOOOONG way away from racing, but we'll see...I know how fast those guys are, and how long they have been doing it....So its not like I'm oblivous, but we'll see how 2010 goes and go from there... Def something Id love to do if possibe!

It was Nelson Ledges with Fasttrax, a little bumpy but I hardly noticed. The bike was amazing! Thread here:

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=32767&highlight=rodeo

Nice!

Next year I'm going to try and hit Mid O, Nelson, Putnam, Blue Grass, Grattan, and Barber...

Will post dates as soon as I'm payed so we can get some Ohio people together!

nice reading.how much you plan to spend every month?i am doing 4-5 track days a month,and its not cheap,after every two days change oil and tires + pay for the track ,cost me every month around $ 1700 if i have good month and dont crash.my friend race, and week ago he spend $ 1200 on tires.racing cost even more what im spending .hopefuly you got good job .

nice reading.how much you plan to spend every month?i am doing 4-5 track days a month,and its not cheap,after every two days change oil and tires + pay for the track ,cost me every month around $ 1700 if i have good month and dont crash.my friend race, and week ago he spend $ 1200 on tires.racing cost even more what im spending .hopefuly you got good job .

I'll just do what I can afford.......

You would be surprised how slow some of the newer racers are in Novice Group. We have seen guys first year place top 5 and we have guys first year are just getting on the track and are 15 seconds or more off Novice times.

I say get a couple trackdays under your belt, if your out there comfortable around a crowd, and you can hold your lines fine when pushing a bit then you are ok to race.

On a slim budget you can get buy with about $800 a weekend to race. I was doing 5 races a weekend at $270, and using one set of tires $285 (Bridgestone), 6-7 gallons of 93oct $21, about $200 in fuel to get there and back, Then add in changing oil every other race weekend, and a bit of food for the weekend will keep you around $800 or so.

Edited by Chrisoh

You would be surprised how slow some of the newer racers are in Novice Group. We have seen guys first year place top 5 and we have guys first year are just getting on the track and are 15 seconds or more off Novice times.

I say get a couple trackdays under your belt, if your out there comfortable around a crowd, and you can hold your lines fine when pushing a bit then you are ok to race.

On a slim budget you can get buy with about $800 a weekend to race. I was doing 5 races a weekend at $270, and using one set of tires $285 (Bridgestone), 6-7 gallons of 93oct $21, about $200 in fuel to get there and back, Then add in changing oil every other race weekend, and a bit of food for the weekend will keep you around $800 or so.

Absolutely... I have 5 track days done so far, and hopefully will do 10 - 15 next summer.... Then I'll go from there... I'll just try and budget the best I can and see what happends!

Some good advice that was given! lol

"1) admit your bike sucks

2) spend a bunch of money making it lighter (carbon fiber, magnesium, titanium). spend a lot of time cutting off all those little frame bits that you don't need anymore, because you'll NEVER want the bike street-legal ever again.

3) admit your bike still sucks, but is easier to load into the truck

4) spend a bunch of money to make more horsepower

5) admit that your bike not only sucks, but is unreliable

6) spend a bunch more money so the power you bought *is* reliable

7) admit that the bike is fast, but unridable

8) spend a bunch of money getting your suspension redone

9) admit your bike is fast, unridable, and more expensive

10) spend lots of time trying all those settings, and getting no changein lap times.

11) admit that you have no idea what all those knobs and screw are for, and find someone who knows what they're doing, suspension wise.

12) admit that your bike is now light, fast, and handles great, but that you suck.

Note: If you stay with the sport long enough, you can repeat this cycle endlessly. Subsequent cycles can omit all odd-numbered steps, and consolidate the even numbered steps except 12, becoming the patent-pending "Two Step Program for Racing":

1) Throw all available money at the bike

2) And realize "I still suck"

Some good advice that was given! lol

"1) admit your bike sucks

2) spend a bunch of money making it lighter (carbon fiber, magnesium, titanium). spend a lot of time cutting off all those little frame bits that you don't need anymore, because you'll NEVER want the bike street-legal ever again.

3) admit your bike still sucks, but is easier to load into the truck

4) spend a bunch of money to make more horsepower

5) admit that your bike not only sucks, but is unreliable

6) spend a bunch more money so the power you bought *is* reliable

7) admit that the bike is fast, but unridable

8) spend a bunch of money getting your suspension redone

9) admit your bike is fast, unridable, and more expensive

10) spend lots of time trying all those settings, and getting no changein lap times.

11) admit that you have no idea what all those knobs and screw are for, and find someone who knows what they're doing, suspension wise.

12) admit that your bike is now light, fast, and handles great, but that you suck.

Note: If you stay with the sport long enough, you can repeat this cycle endlessly. Subsequent cycles can omit all odd-numbered steps, and consolidate the even numbered steps except 12, becoming the patent-pending "Two Step Program for Racing":

1) Throw all available money at the bike

2) And realize "I still suck"

lol :D.learn the hard way

• 1 month later...

i did one day at the Star School when it was at Autobahn a couple of years ago. i really enjoyed the format and the instructors were really good. i learned a lot there. i only did one day, $385 iirc. the first day they focus on riding and the second day is on bike setup. i couldnt swing the second day, but would def think it would come in handy if you race on the cheap.

also, Michael Jordan was there......and i passed him.........he cried, like a bitch.

• 6 months later...
Absolutely... I have 5 track days done so far, and hopefully will do 10 - 15 next summer.... Then I'll go from there... I'll just try and budget the best I can and see what happends!

Any updates on this? Moving forward? Just curious on your progress and experiences if you did

Yeah, but Evans doesn't race a serious series. It should be cheaper than that... Plus, track days aren't going to get you faster... Racing does.

The facts are pretty simple. If you are starting out, run the FT series for maybe a few races to get your feet wet. Then, run WERA. You are only as fast as the competition you run against. Wanna get faster and better all the while learning? Run WERA with the idea that you are going to go WERA National Series.

It solely depends on what you want to do and get out of it. If you are loaded like your buddy and spend money and can afford it, run whatever you want with no expectations. However, if you want to excell and grow and advance yourself, go with a competitive series... Use track days as learning sessions to work on traffic work, segment work and slight setup work. Track days will not provide the best outlet for race practice and shouldn't be used as such.

Dub, you have a LOT of guys around you that you know that have raced successfully and have ran serious programs. Ask as much as you can and we will provide the tips and guidance...

My top suggestion is work on suspension first. Get propr internals, get a rear shock and go. This shit where you need all these add-ons is total BS. Look at Reub and how fast he was on a BONE STOCK GSXR 600... WITH street compound tires...