bad idea to use factory oil filter?

Jcroz91

I prefer using a K&N filter for synthetic oils. Fram,OEMs and others are not really designed for syn oils and can break down under extended use. Plus K&Ns are normally cheaper than factory, and only a buck or two more than Fram and others.

OEM filters are made by a filter company, and the OEM has it's name on it. In some cases the OEM will have requirements for that part, but it's not much different than other OEMs or the industry standards in general. To be more exact, the filters have standards in the first place, and the OEMs design everything else to use that part.

Are some better than others? Yes. But better in one way may be worse in another.

Mistakes can be made, when trying to improve what already exists. Eventually good ideas are adopted by all.

So the answer is, use at least reasonably good oil and and a reasonably good oil filter.

Change oil and filter at intervals per your owner's manual or service manual.

OEM filters are made by a filter company, and the OEM has it's name on it. In some cases the OEM will have requirements for that part, but it's not much different than other OEMs or the industry standards in general. To be more exact, the filters have standards in the first place, and the OEMs design everything else to use that part.

Are some better than others? Yes. But better in one way may be worse in another.

Mistakes can be made, when trying to improve what already exists. Eventually good ideas are adopted by all.

So the answer is, use at least reasonably good oil and and a reasonably good oil filter.

Change oil and filter at intervals per your owner's manual or service manual.

i dont have a manual!! it didnt come with one

and is it just like a car... change it out every 3k miles?
Amsoil say you can go double your mileage. its not any more than what most people buy anyways and its a FULL synthetic.

Threads on the stuff:

http://www.ohio-riders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

I used Amsoil in my truck. I change it every 12 months / 25,ooo miles. Not saying to do that in your bike, but you can use extended drain intervals with Amsoil. Next time I change the oil in the bike, I'm switching to Amsoil full synthetic with filter.