suggestions please(starter problem)

rick37

I picked up a 88 kawasaki 600r when I try to start it the starter engages then as fast disengages, And this is what I have done so far

1. had the original starter rebuilt(same thing happens)

2.bought another starter off ebay(same thing happens)

I have tried unbolting the starter and kinda move it around thinking maybe it needs shimed, I have went through the repair manual and can not find anything that compares to this problem.

And for FYI I have replaced the wiring harness (I know it does not pertain to my issue)

So I hope some one hear can point me in a good direction,

Oh almost forgot when the battery got low is seemed to stay engaged longer:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Weak or worn starter engage/disengage spring/mechanism. Like the Bendix on a car. It's disengaging early. Turning slower is keeping it loaded longer, before it disengages. Or possibly loaded with less force, when turning slower. I vote worn or damaged engage mechanism.

edit: But, I got no clue why it would happen to three different starters or rebuilds, that's weird.

edit edit: Well ok, if it wasn't fully extended and engaged properly, it would slip out early. (Yeah, I know how that sounded.)

Edited by ReconRat

I thought 88's were kick start. jk - "the starter engages then as fast disengages", what does that mean exactly? Does the starter motor let go and wind up? Does the starter motor stop turning? Does the starter turn the crank over at all?

Ok fair question let me more specific, When I hit the start button it sounds like it makes contact and turns the motor, and then its like a gear grinding sound and you can hear the starter spinning.

another question is do motorcycle starters ever need shimmed.

weak or worn starter engage/disengage spring/mechanism. Like the bendix on a car. It's disengaging early. Turning slower is keeping it loaded longer, before it disengages. Or possibly loaded with less force, when turning slower. I vote worn or damaged engage mechanism.

Edit: But, i got no clue why it would happen to three different starters or rebuilds, that's weird.

Edit edit: Well ok, if it wasn't fully extended and engaged properly, it would slip out early. (yeah, i know how that sounded.)

:D:d:d:d

After doing research on the net last night I came to the conclusion that the starter clutch gear needs replaced.

That sounds right, i was going to tell you to check the starter relay since you said it turns better with a low battery. But the starter clutch is prolly the culprit. I know my girls 2 fiddy always clunks, for lack of a better term, when starting, but i think thats kinda a kawi thing.

My 86 ZX900A sometimes works off the button, sometimes I have to jump the solenoid... perhaps you have a similar issue?

I found thread on a kawasaki forum that had the same problem and he discovered it was the starter clutch gear, I have went though everything trying to figure this out and the clutch gear is the last thing left,

yea atleast thats what I read in the book,but I would rather pull the motor and crack the cases for this and while I am there I hopefully inspect the rest and make sure everything is good to.

Edited by rick37

yea so the way I am thinking right now is it a good starter(sport bike wise)if things fail then I am only out a few bucks, on the flip side it could be a could trade in to upgrade so hopefully it will be a win win all around.

on a good note I was able to bump it just right tonight(friday) and got it running and love the sound of the pipes on this thing it has a deep throaty sound. I will try to get a pick of it and post it up though i promise in current form it is not pretty.I can now take the take to be powder coated. The guy I use is just going to love me another tank that need repaired i.e dents.So after the yamaha project it off to the ninja.