Trashed my Metzlers.

xxxl

To me your tires look brand new and your not leaning your bike at all which is why you have that wear pattern. What pressures are you running. Certain bikes frame geometry causes some tires to look like that and its not always an indication of something bad.

To me your tires look brand new and your not leaning your bike at all which is why you have that wear pattern. What pressures are you running. Certain bikes frame geometry causes some tires to look like that and its not always an indication of something bad.

What do you know about lean??????:metal:

I can't see the pics, but what kind of pressures you running on the bike?

I just did 1300 miles of nothing but highway this weekend and there is a small flat spot, but I set my pressures at like 40 psi cold to minimize the flat spot. Now I still can barely feel the tire go over it when leaning.

What do you know about lean??????:metal:

I can't see the pics, but what kind of pressures you running on the bike?

I just did 1300 miles of nothing but highway this weekend and there is a small flat spot, but I set my pressures at like 40 psi cold to minimize the flat spot. Now I still can barely feel the tire go over it when leaning.

Im going to kick you in the junk.. BTW.. where ever we go this sat to ride dirt, you should see if you can come.. We are not sure where we are going just yet but hopefully we will know soon.

I'll try to repost the pictures somewhere else.

The tires are scalloped on both sides. A lot of rubber is scrapped off. The center is the high point, the transition is jagged all the way around. Easy to see and, easy to feel with your finger.

Looks more like I was always leaning over and never upright.

Checked a BMW with the same tires here at work today.

Same wear but to a far lesser degree (and many more miles on them.)

I may be a bit lazy about keeping on top of my air pressure but this guy is an engineer and motorcycle instructor for the state.

I suspect that I am the major cause of this problem but the Metzlers may have played there part too.

If the high spot is in the center...that would be a center of under inflation, no?!? Since a tire with too much air pressure would tend to make less contact with the sides.

I didn't look at the pic..but if the sides are scalloped then maybe we are looking at another issue in addition to air pressure.

My guess would be that they are soft compound tire w way too much air pressure. The center looks to be worn heavily and the contact area

on either side is flat so the tire looks like a triangle w the top point worn off?

The tire cannot grow any wider due to the rim and the increased air pressure

expands the only part of the tire that can still grow...the center... thats the

weakest part of the tire due to length of the belts being longer and stretching more. Metzler tires have belts on the bias and the radial direction to lessen growth and this causes deformity at higher pressures. Just what I have heard and the only damage you could have possibly done is break a radial belt in the center. Drop the pressures down for straight line and up for curves(just a couple of psi difference). I run 32psi on my cruiser all the time but have heard of people dropping them to get more "distribution" of wear on long straights and bump them over by 2psi when cutting corners.

Take the manuf. tire recommendation and your weight and luggage into

consideration.

Actually.. you want lower psi for the curves and higher if your going to be riding for long times on the highways.. either way, even on the high psi for highway riding, you will still probably want the tires about 2 psi below what they recommend in your book.

i run 32rear, 33 front when Im at deals gap or the track (aka lots of twisties) I run around 36 front/rear for street riding.

Take note that these pressures are on GSXR's.. pressures will probably be different for your bike. It also depends on the tires.. go to your tire's webpage and there should be a page that tells what pressures you should be running for your model bike / tire.

Aftermarket tires do not always run the same pressures as what stock does..

Click the following link and select your tire, then on the right hand side, select "Your Fitment", then select your bike and it will tell your what tire pressures you should be running.

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/en_85/tires/template_categorie.jhtml;jsessionid=X05XQTA2QKQBJFYKJOPCFFA?catid=85SPSUP

Incorrect tire pressure? Yes.

Over inflated? No

Under inflated? Yes

Dunlop has a lot of information on site. Check out the FAQ

and the info center

I am led to believe that I should be running higher pressure than normal because I am a lot bigger than normal. (Like riding 2 up all of the time.)

It's new tires for me and a pressure check every day.

Thanks for the input. Of the boards I have posted this on this is the only one where some members were astute enough to present reasonable explanations.