Calling computer people

DangBruhY

In your spare time I would just start looking into Perl or Rexx ..or something similar. It's not hard..you sound like a go-getter anyways. Once you learn how to script, you'll kick yourself for not learning it sooner.

+1 on Perl/Rexx.

Since you mentioned you've got Linux boxes (and answered the hostname question correctly!) look into Python on the *nix side.

If you're going to have to do more Windows stuff in the future, Windows Scripting (WSH) is the ticket. If you've done VB, you're 3/4's of the way there.

You don't need to learn Perl or Rexx for Windows scripting, just VBA. Agreed though, once you have it down you'll find that scripting + good group policies make your job much, much easier.

He's got a mixed environment...that's why I didn't mention VB. I wouldn't bring VB to a *nix party..but that's just me.

He's got a mixed environment...that's why I didn't mention VB. I wouldn't bring VB to a *nix party..but that's just me.

Ah, I missed that part. In that event, get your ass some Perl books and start greppin'.

The problem is that the security policies don't always allow certain things to run. So I'm fighting a really tough battle. The problem is that at work, I only work on Windows computers. I've always had at least 1 LINUX box running. I wish we had more LINUX boxes at work.

The problem is that the security policies don't always allow certain things to run. So I'm fighting a really tough battle. The problem is that at work, I only work on Windows computers. I've always had at least 1 LINUX box running. I wish we had more LINUX boxes at work.

Well GPO's happen to be one of my specialties in my shop, with VBA/Windows Scripting being a modest second, still getting the feel for the functions.

So I take it you've already solved your PC renaming problem, what else is up?