Looking at a zx11

Ziggy

I've been looking for a bike for a couple of months now, just trying to find silly deals out there, and came across what (on the surface) looks to be a pretty good deal on a 1990 ZX11. My question has to do with the trans. The ad states the bike doesn't go into second gear, just into neutral when shifting from first. I saw another ad for an older ZX6 that indicated a similar problem. How big of a deal is it to replace second gear?

It could be a bent shift fork as well and I have replaced these on a ZRX (identical bottom end as a ZX-11) with the the motor in the frame. For any other ZRX owners the tranny from a ZX-11D is a direct "drop in" if you would like a 6 speed rather than 5. ZX-11 cams are drop ins as well for the ZRX1100 or ZZR cams in the 1200 and good for another 10-12 HP.

It could be a bent shift fork as well and I have replaced these on a ZRX (identical bottom end as a ZX-11) with the the motor in the frame. For any other ZRX owners the tranny from a ZX-11D is a direct "drop in" if you would like a 6 speed rather than 5. ZX-11 cams are drop ins as well for the ZRX1100 or ZZR cams in the 1200 and good for another 10-12 HP.

Bent shift fork means it is rubbing other things that need changed out. Doing it in a chassis is harder work than jut pulling it and working on it upside down...